Author Topic: KF Restoration Guidelines  (Read 11919 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KF Restoration Guidelines
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 10:59:39 PM »
Jack,  This was your idea from start to finish and it was all of your research that made it possible.  You will never be left out of this loop and we are all happy to be able to make a contribution but we all know that this is your baby!  Jim is doing a great job in formatting it and with everyone's contribution to the different models as they are presented it should be just what you hoped for and more than what we ever thought possible.  Don't look for a lot of enthusiasm from the Club but we have plenty from the members who are going to really be able to benefit from this project.  The Club will come around and will probably want to take credit for the whole thing!!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:09:11 PM by gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Kaiser Ranchero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 02:27:09 AM »
Jack, we all enjoy your information and research and it is important to the club. Lets all be able to add information to the guide lines. That makes it everybodys club and may help get younger people involved. While at a car show this week end a retired body man came up and said I have a box Kaiser literature you might be interested in. It is from the 60's and 70's and has write ups of proto type or experimental and concept cars. Some of it was from the Quarterly club publication and a binder with factory sheets from the 50's. He wants 100.00 which I didn't have with me and was hesitant at the price. Is there interest in a Club library if a location/care taker could be worked out? The over all tone of these discussions seem to be positive and in the best interest of the club so lets all keep pulling to gather and get more information out and get more people involved. The club activities and car shows with Kaiser-Frazer & Willy's people that I have attnted have been very informative and enjoyable. Also very reassuring  when a car breaks down everone is there to help solve the problem.
51 Business Cpe K5113  49 Virginian K4923      65 GT 350 Retro
52 Ranchero K5127        52 Virginian K5221      03 MACH 1
53 Carolina K5381         53 Manhattan K5324    05 Mustang
                                   54 Manhattan K5421

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 05:19:09 AM »
Hi, all...

First, I don't care who gets credit for what.  We have a limited window here and we have to get this right the first time (or be very close to right the first time) if it is to be done at all and anyone's help is appreciated. 

Because of specific requirements now in place (that were NOT in place years ago when this could have been done), we cannot meet the current tests to become a 501c3 (we do qualify as a c6).  Only the c3 category non-profits can give tax deductions for donations of material.  We have lost out on several opportunities because we are not a c3 class organization.  Not having a "fixed base" to work out of is a problem...the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum does not have the space to set up a library area for us (they already turned down the Corvair Club's offer to re-locate their materials to the facility). 

I would love to see something get established, but again, where, and who would handle it?

Kaiser Ranchero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 01:22:23 AM »
Could we start in a barn or house and set up a room and adjoining bath room. Add shelves book cases and a desk. Maybe a couch or a couple of chairs? Work parties could be scheduled along with a club meet once or twice a year. Rooms or sections for the first cars, then the redesign, the engineering projects and one off units/proto types, Darrin's, Merger & Willy's and maybe an area for safety up dates and modified/customs. Just thinking out loud (in type), please chime in.
51 Business Cpe K5113  49 Virginian K4923      65 GT 350 Retro
52 Ranchero K5127        52 Virginian K5221      03 MACH 1
53 Carolina K5381         53 Manhattan K5324    05 Mustang
                                   54 Manhattan K5421

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 12:42:05 PM »
Sounds simple enough ... start small and build into something magnificant ;D
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »
This is the Color Disclaimer being considered for the Restoration Guideline Documents.

E7.040

COLOR DISCLAIMER
Use the paint chip scans included in this document only as an idea of the original color.  Due to variances among color monitors/printers the colors that appear on your screen/paper may not be correct.  Although the color scans in this document were scanned with a high quality scanner not all computer monitors / printers are the same and do not necessarily display/print colors the same way.   Many of the numbers listed within have long since disappeared from paint jobber information.  If you are repainting your vehicle it would be recommended that original charts be obtained, preferably Ditzler as PPG shops can mix older colors to current if you have their old info as a starting point.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 05:38:36 PM »
That sounds reasonable Jim
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
Jim B (PNW not PEI): You are trying to make the disclaimer a separate article in itself. All you really need is the 1st sentence.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 06:26:52 PM »
Good point - 

E7.040
COLOR DISCLAIMER
Use the paint chip scans included in this document only as an idea of the original color. 

E7.042
IF YOU NEED PAINT
It would be recommended that original Paint Chips be obtained, preferably Ditzler as PPG shops can mix older colors to current if you have their old info as a starting point.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2010, 02:58:38 PM »
KF Technical Reference Manual Lists - As we are working on Restoration Guidelines having a good set of manuals available would be invaluable.  I have tried to assemble the list of manuals required/desired by Class.  Your comments / additions / deletions will be appreciated.  The intent is to add these lists to the Restoration Guideline documents for each class.

Class 04 - Henry J & Allstate
http://circlekf.com/kflit/pdf/KFLIT%20Book%20Lit%20By%20Class%2004.pdf
Class 08 - 1947 - 1948 Frazer
http://circlekf.com/kflit/pdf/KFLIT%20Book%20Lit%20By%20Class%2008.pdf
Class 14 - 1952(B) - 1953 Kaiser
http://circlekf.com/kflit/pdf/KFLIT%20Book%20Lit%20By%20Class%2014.pdf

« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:00:17 PM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »
Jim,
The reference materiel is helpful, will there be a list for 1954/55 Kaisers or will they be added to the class 14 listing? Just for fun I would like to see what the "current" judging guide looks like for the 1954 cars.  I'm willing to assist but feel inadequate without having a library source for vetting the data.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
John,  When finished there should be a booklet for each class.  I will start the draft for Class 15 - 1954 & 1955 Kaiser.  At the PNW Fall Meet I will give you a copy so you can help update.  Do you have a Digital Camera??  Your car should be a fantastic source for 1954 pictures.  Jim
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2010, 06:56:13 PM »
jsgmpeek - You've hit on the issue we've been debating/talking about for years and this is, there are no "guidelines."  That's what we'd all like to see so when we have a car judged we know what it is being based on. Currently there is no such thing.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 06:59:06 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 05:17:09 AM »
Couple things...

1.  The current IRS guidelines require a separate fixed abode rather than a room or shelf in someone's house.  Too many people tried this in the past so they tightened up the requirements to become a 501c3 corp.  Brooks Stevens' accountant was a friend of my mothers and even in the early 1960's when the (no longer existant) Brooks Stevens Museum was trying to get its 501c3 there was an issue because it was in a portion of the building also used for the design studio.   Some at the IRS considered it Mr. Stevens' garage.  It literally took intervention by a member of the Wisconsin Congressional delegation to resolve the matter.

2.  The club could have had written standards in place prior to 2000, but Chief Judge Fred Walker refused to hear of such a thing!  All you had to do was to order all your parts from him (or better yet, have his restoration ship do your car) and you would always have the right thing for your car.

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »
Jim, and others,
Thanks for the atta-boy on my restoration ref: http://picasaweb.google.com/54kaiser/Kaiser#  however, I know that the judging police would have a hey day with my car.  For instance here are some of the non factory modifications I did when I did the restoration.  Rerouted the gas line to avoid heat and vapor lock, powder-coated frame, added a fuel filter on the frame, replaced sway-bar with a larger stiffer one, added hardened valves in engine, replaced head bolts with higher grade bolts, use synthetic oil (engine & transmission), added electronic ignition, changed over from 6 volt to 12 volt, switched positive ground to negative, upgraded the supercharger, added a spin off oil filter, replaced generator with alternator, 12 volt starter, added an optima battery in a 6 Volt case, installed stainless exhaust and flow-through muffler, replaced vacuum tube radio with transistorized AM/FM radio behind original face, added an electric antenna, added 12 volt pump to windshield washer, installed halogen head lamps, added sound deadening in doors, roof, floors, and hood, replaced many factory screws, bolts with new hardware some stainless, replaced cloth wiring with vinyl, laid carpet in front and trunk, installed radial tires, added seat belts, added fender mirrors, and the list goes on.  My point is 1. we have no guidelines and 2. it's my car and I will do what I want to make it safer, and more reliable. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 03:25:18 PM by jsgmpeek »