Author Topic: Not Starting  (Read 1994 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Not Starting
« on: September 08, 2010, 08:59:24 PM »
I went out to to start the car yesterday, and it wouldn't start--I just heard a "click"--not clicking, but just one click when I would try to engage the starter.  I thought it might be the battery, so I hooked it up to the charger, put it back in and tried again.  This time it was at night.  I noticed the same click again, and at the same time all the lights went dim, which means something was drawing electricity.  My questions is, does this sound like a solenoid or a starter?  Or maybe somethign different?

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Not Starting
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »
I have had this happen a few times-typically it's a poor connection on one side of the solenoid. It becomes resistive and enough current gets through to click the solenoid  but not enough to spin the motor. Another possibility is that the solenoid itself has become resistive. A quick check is to remove the cables from the solenoid and momentarily touch them together (assuming they are clean.) If you get starter action it is either the solenoid itself or the connections thereto. If this produces no results it is likely the starter that is the issue. You can do the same test by shorting over the solenoid terminals without removing the wires.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 10:34:51 PM »
Yes, good idea.  I'll try it.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:38:11 AM »
I tried touching the wires and nothing happened aside from sparks and the metal getting red-hot.  So, I guess I will take the starter off and have it checked and rebuilt if necessary.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 08:44:31 PM »
It was the solenoid.  I have a good alternator/starter shop that has been here for years and they typically have parts like this on their shelves--this particular time it took them a day to get it, and it works perfectly now.

Kaiser Ranchero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 11:32:06 PM »
My 54 had a two post solenoid from a previous owner and would only click and I was ready to pull the starter. Replaced the solenoid with a 6 volt single post and it stared right up every time. Some times just tracing the wires and cleaning and lubing the connections does wonders.
51 Business Cpe K5113  49 Virginian K4923      65 GT 350 Retro
52 Ranchero K5127        52 Virginian K5221      03 MACH 1
53 Carolina K5381         53 Manhattan K5324    05 Mustang
                                   54 Manhattan K5421