Author Topic: Clutch question  (Read 2374 times)

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
Clutch question
« on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:08 PM »
I finally got a chance to drive the '48 around my property, how cool!  It does smoke a lot but seemed to produce less smoke the more it ran, however I do have a question about the clutch and gearing since I have never driven a Kaiser before.  When I have the car in first gear and am letting the clutch out, the car seems to shudder until the clutch is all the way out.  Because the car hadn't been driven in at least 35 years, do you think this is something that might work itself out?  Also, is it typical to have to rev the car up a bit to get it to move without stalling in first gear?  I am more used to the gearing in my Jeep so I'm not sure if this is the way Kaisers usually behave.  Thanks again for all the advice, if it hadn't been for you all, I would not have had the chance to drive her today-what a great feeling.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Clutch question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 09:52:40 PM »
Regarding the smoking, the car is definitely old enough to smoke if it wants to!  That may go away if and when the rings seal up bit. Regarding the clutch, there may be rust on the flywheel etc. which may wear off after driving it a bit.  It is definitely different letting the clutch out in first gear on these older cars than it is on newer ones so I suspect what you're refering to is normal.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Kaiser Ranchero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:43:45 PM »
The 51 had set forty some years and the clutch disc was stuck to the pressure plate or flywheel and wouldn't release. Started it in gear and stepped on the brakes with out the clutch. It broke loose. Either rust ,corrosion or oil was the culprit and caused it to chatter when letting the clutch out in 1st and 2nd gear. After slipping the clutch a while it smoothed out. It may have a rear main seal leak because after setting a couple of days it chatters until it is slipped for a bit and burns off the residue.
51 Business Cpe K5113  49 Virginian K4923      65 GT 350 Retro
52 Ranchero K5127        52 Virginian K5221      03 MACH 1
53 Carolina K5381         53 Manhattan K5324    05 Mustang
                                   54 Manhattan K5421

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:55:57 PM »
Lisa...way to go on the test drive...congrats!! The shudder could be just adjustment...or may work itself out. My Willys Areo had the same problem ans was also stuck....it broke loose and smoothed out. I think have to rev to move is either timing or carb related. Or just a car waking up from 35 years of sitting.
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

Kaiser Ranchero

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 11:08:08 PM »
The smoke on the 51 was quite noticeable in the beginning but is almost gone after three weeks of driving on and off every couple of days.
51 Business Cpe K5113  49 Virginian K4923      65 GT 350 Retro
52 Ranchero K5127        52 Virginian K5221      03 MACH 1
53 Carolina K5381         53 Manhattan K5324    05 Mustang
                                   54 Manhattan K5421

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 02:32:29 PM »
Thanks for the inout!  I sure hope it sorts itself out, I am not sure I can physically change the clutch since I think it takes two people and well, I am only one person.  I was wondering about the timing having to do with it not having more power in first gear.  I will see if I can borrow a timing light from my mechanic friend sometime this weekend.  Thanks again everyone.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »
If you have a shop manual it will tell you the settings for timing (I think it's 6 BTDC?), point gap, etc.  Just making sure everything is properly tuned might help a lot.  Good luck and congrats on getting it back on the road!

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 10:51:04 PM »
LisaP: If the valves are sticking due to sitting so long, you may have low compression. This causes stalling under load such as when starting out from a dead stop. Driving you car may cure this in time. A compression check will verify this. Remember, the fun is not so much the destination as it is in the journey itself. You are doing great so far.