Author Topic: Tips on how to tell what model Kaiser...  (Read 9589 times)

My50Kaiser

Tips on how to tell what model Kaiser...
« on: June 17, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »
I just bought a 1950 Kaiser and we are trying to do some research.  The car should arrive here sometime this week.  What can we look for on the car to try and determine what make it is?  So far, we have discovered that the 1950's are actually 1949's (some are) and it is very hard to find any information.  Any pointers?  We are letting our 14 yr old son and 13 yr old daughter help by doing the research on the car via the internet so any websites/advise we can point them to would be great!

My50Kaiser

Re: Tips on how to tell what model Kaiser...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 08:26:43 PM »
Here's a few pics - maybe some of you can tell from the photos.

Sally

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »
Your car looks like a '49 to me.  My father has one.  That's about all I know. Your project sounds quite interesting.  I will be looking to sell a '49 Kaiser as part of my Dad's estate, so thought maybe I'd join this list.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 08:36:59 AM »
The 1949 and 1950 look exactly the same. The 1950s are more rare but, as you pointed out, they are just left over 1949s so they are no more valuable. The way to tell what year / model is look at the VIN tag inside the driver's side door sill. If it begins with K49.., it's a 1949, if it begins with K50.. it's a 1950.  The photos indicate it is the 'standard' model. The deluxe models actually had the color of the car on the front fender as a model designation. It would actually say "Linden Green", "Bermuda Tan", "Crystal Green"... etc. on the front fender if it were a deluxe model.
I believe the standard model has a VIN that begins with K491 or K501 and the deluxe begins with K492 or K502 but I'm not positive on that.
I do know a 1947 Kaiser will have a VIN that begins with K100 or K101 but all others will be Kxx where xx is last two digits of the model year.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:15:07 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

flamingchariots

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:22:48 PM »
That's a nice car!  I was thinking about bidding on it, but then was distracted by other things.  Where are you located?  Best wishes on your family project.  Your kids might be right at the perfect age for this!

Kevin
Medina, OH

My50Kaiser

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 03:00:55 PM »
We are in Michigan and she just arrived this morning.  My husband and daughter got up at the crack of dawn, helped get her off the transport truck, pushed her into our parking lot and spent all morning outside with her.  They finally got her to run!  This is going to be such an exciting and fun project!  We are definitely doing the before and after pictures!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 08:33:28 PM »
A bit of advice - once you get it running, you may want to check the fuel tank to see if it's full of sludge or rust as so many are after a car has sat for many years.  Kanter Auto (www.kanter.com) sells a kit for cleaning gas tanks. I used the kit on a Henry J back in '01 and it worked great. That tank was a mountain of rust and sludge and it is like new inside now.
I've seen people spend a lot of money/time getting a car running only to clog the carb and fuel pump  and line because the tank was full of sludge.  Often times, if tank is full, it's not a problem but when it gets down around a quarter tank or less, then the sludge gets picked up by the pump.  It can be a mess.

In any case, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how nice the car rides and drives. For a nice ride, there's no beating the early Kaisers.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 08:35:17 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios