Author Topic: bumper guards question  (Read 2045 times)

DaveF

• View Profile
    • Email
bumper guards question
« on: October 19, 2010, 11:31:02 PM »
My 52' Kaiser has a 51' front clip........ The front bumper guards have 'holes' and the bolt heads showing on exterior of guards........ Is this original?  All the photos I've seen do not show bolt heads....... Found on Craig's List this 51'    sale-rcqqb-2014667022@craigslist.org     with bolt heads showing........ Were they made both ways?  Thank you, DaveF

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: bumper guards question
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:22 AM »
First off, the link you list opens up email for contacting someone.  As to your question, the upper end Kaiser Deluxe models had a "bullet" shaped metal attachment to the top of the bumper guard as used on the lower end Special.  Not seeing a picture of what you have, I am guessing that the guards are missing that piece, and may also be missing the bumper bolts that filled those holes on a Special (you indicate you have holes on the guards).

R-Sargent

• 51 Kaiser 2dr sedan , 51 Frazer Vagabond
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 09:43:36 AM »
On 51' bumper guards the mounting stud welded to the inside of the guard so no head showed on the outside. Problem was that many times it just took a little bump to break off that stud . Rather than reweld the stud most repairs consisted of drilling it out and just using a regular bolt with a head on it ,that is why you see them both ways

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 02:57:42 PM »
You make a very good point. It is important to be aware that none of these KF cars would have survived as long as they have without someone doing something to them. Many of these repairs were done in the 1960s - 1990s when parts and information were hard to find (it's a little easier now with the internet), or the owner was not concerned about the car looking original or authentic (and many, including me for many years, did not). So, when repairs were done, sometimes you had to do what you could or use what you could find which means there are cars out there that are not authentic or original looking any more. That's why it is best to consult factory literature when restoring cars with the goal of an original/authentic looking car in mind.  I've seen lots of nice restorations which used mix and matched parts from other years and models, or someone did some type of repair as you mentioned.  It's not uncommon.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios