Author Topic: Return spring  (Read 1812 times)

kenneth

• View Profile
    • Email
Return spring
« on: October 24, 2010, 06:38:02 AM »
Hi Kaiser lovers out there I have 3 questions about return springs a:Clutch linkage return spring,dimensions? b:Brake pedal return spring,dimensions? c:Hand brake lever return spring(under the car)dimensions?pics would be nice!Also there seems to be two sorts of rear handbrakecables around one open and one with housingcould both be used car now has one with housing,by the way its a -53 two door deluxe.Thanks.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Return spring
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 11:01:49 AM »
Yes, there are at least a couple of variations of rear brake cable assemblies available. The OEM unit has a cover over the last few feet of cable as it enters each rear backing plate, while some aftermarket versions do not. As long as the cable is the correct length and has the correct spring and stop at each end, then you're good to go.
With most aftermarket replacements, you'll have to reuse the saddle that mounts at the center of the cable (and attaches to the threaded rod/front cable) and you'll also have to reuse the hangers. That was true of the EIS cable that I got for my 54.
Two and four door rear brake cable assemblies are the same and I think they're the same between standard and hydramatic.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
Just to clarify things, the emergency/parking brake cable assembly consists of 3 cables. On 51-55 Ks, there are 2 rear cables that are armored for part of their length and they go from an equalizing lever under the transmission to each rear brake backing plate. There is a single cable that is partially armored that goes from the 'cane' handle under the dashboard to the equalizing lever. There are 2 different part numbers for this cable. One fits a manual transmission and the other fits a Hydramatic equipped car. The difference comes because the cable passes through the transmission crossmember and the armored part of the cable is anchored by the crossmember. Manual & Hydramatic crossmembers are located at different points on the frame so there is a difference in the length of the armored part of the cable.
Hand Brake Cable - Rear is Group 15.236 and is the same L&R and for all trans & body styles.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

kenneth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:49:19 AM »
Thanks for the answers on the handbrakecable,but what about the return springs?

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 01:14:36 AM »
I would also like to know of a replacement clutch pedal return spring. Part numbers?  Sources?  My clutch seems to be all messed up and I need to start replacing parts before next summer.  Thanks!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988