Author Topic: bumper jack  (Read 3709 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
bumper jack
« on: November 20, 2010, 01:03:29 AM »
My 53 dragon is missing the bumper jack assembly. Is there a difference with the jacks from year to year or model to model? I only want one for display but I don't want to buy and display the wrong jack. Speaking of display, do they just lay loose in the trunk or what? What should I expect to pay for a nice example?
Chris

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: bumper jack
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:23:19 AM »
As far as I know, they just lay loose.  One thing, if you get the jack, DO NOT use it on your bumper!  Please don't ask me how I know this.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 01:39:39 AM »
The original correct K-F P/N jack assembly (base, lug wrench/jack handle, etc) are not that easy to find in very good or excellent condition.  If they are not positioned exactly as shown in the owners manual, you stand a good chance of bending the lower lip edge of the bumper, especially if you have to jack up the rear.  1952 and 1953 jacks are the same.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 08:57:46 AM »
Yes...do not use your bumper jack on the car. Not only can you ruin a good bumper but OE KF jack bases do not have a slot for the post to fit into, instead, the base is simply indented to "hold" the post in place. I'm sure many a Kaiser and Frazer rolled off the jack and caused more trouble than just a flat tire. I keep a floor jack in the car when traveling.

KF jacks differ from year to year. The early 47 jack had a bigger lip at the point where it met the bumper to insert into a slot cut into the bumper. The later version does not.

Regarding storage, in my Traveler it's mounted in the right rear section of the trunk. In my 53 and 54, it lays at an angle in generally the same place with the end of the post fitting thru a hole in the cardboard trim.

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 09:13:45 AM »

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:56:01 AM »
Henry J and Darrins were not equipped with the same jack as used on the "big" cars.  Check your factory parts list for your car's correct part number.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:17:15 AM »
I remember the first time I had a flat tire on the family 51 K. I did manage to get the wheel off before the car rolled off the jack...Fortunately it was only less than a block from home.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 11:40:57 AM »
I've seen so many "Original Henry J" jacks on ebay which aren't. The originaly type is rare and cheaply made. That one in the previous post could've been put in a new Henry J but the one shown in the owner's manual is this one -

The one in the ebay ad is similar so I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm sure it's not authentic. It's definitely closer than most "original Henry J" jacks I see on ebay

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 01:39:33 PM »
While the jack and handle look correct on that ebay unit, the base isn't the same as the still-in-the-box NOS unit a friend has in his Kaiser. All of those I've seen have a base that looks like the one in the photo above.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 02:26:14 PM »
That's been my observation too Joe. Well put.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios