Author Topic: K/F/HJ/W Upholstery  (Read 1936 times)

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
K/F/HJ/W Upholstery
« on: December 03, 2010, 12:38:51 AM »
Well guys I worked with SMS to get the Bambu Boucle and the rest of our vinyls and they turned out pretty darn good, ask jim betts, bob jordan and now I need some real help as the Jaquard machinery is being re tooled to do the 53 LUXURA OR THE 54 LAMAR CLOTH MATERIAL it should be ready after the first of the year.  Now comes the problem there were a lot more 53s with the longer loop that was originally wool with a rayon wrap and double air twist to it , or do we go with the 54 short loop of wool and no rayon wrap. I prefer the 54 as the loops didn't take unwanted sets spoiling the smooth look. I have been working with USA and Woolmark of london and their sub in Perth Australia so do you have any sugestions???

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: K/F/HJ/W Upholstery
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 05:49:46 AM »
It was a number of years ago, but my contacts in England talked to the mills in Northern Ireland and Ireland about reproducing various types of K-F cloth.  The companies involved did the upholstery for GM Europe and a couple other European car companies and were looking for job work to run during model change overs, etc to keep the work steadier.  They quoted what was at the time a very good price landed in NYC.  The project never went anywhere because, when I discussed it with members of the club, people in the Eastern Division said it was not necessary because THEY had the matter taken care of.  They had a deal set up with a company in the northeastern USA that would do the work.

If interested, I could check with one of them and see what they can find out. 

Jack Mueller
Club Historian KFOCI

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 12:48:57 PM »
While there were alot more 53's produced than 54s, it seems today that the demand is for the 54 material.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
yES jACK, IT WAS A NUMBER OF YEARS AGO, Art Griffin tried mills on the east coast and a couple around Arkansas? but when he got samples it looked more like a Turkish towel. I have some of the samples in my posession. I'm trying to get short runs made in the USA rather than Australia where they want too much yardage done and I DON'T have that kind of money. at the moment it looks promising.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:36:37 PM »
At the time, the Irish mills would run a minimum of 100 yards.  The cost was $33.00/yard, landed in NYC.  I realize the price would be notably higher today, but that could be offset in part by the weak position of the Irish currency against (believe it or not) the USD.