Author Topic: 226 Accelerator Linkage  (Read 2265 times)

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
226 Accelerator Linkage
« on: December 17, 2010, 08:54:07 AM »
This question can probably be answered by the Kaiser people as well, I have the 226 in an Aero, but it looks to me like the accelerator linkage across the top of the head has been bent.

I do not have a picture, but here goes with a description. Should the bracket attached to the head be 90 degrees. And should the rod cross-car be level with the head and straight (after the bend near the carb). And finally as I look from the front should the rotating bracket (hooked to the cross-car rod) be at 90 degrees. I have some slightly different angles and the detent rod down to the transmission wants to rub on the oil filter.

Thanks for the help!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 226 Accelerator Linkage
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:36:54 AM »
I found this photo. Let us know if it helps.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

vettelang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
That photo really helps. It looks like the rods and bracket are square with the world. I notice the detent rod goes down between the filter mounts and on mine it is routed behind the rearward mount. Perhaps it just needs a rerouting after I straighten the cross-car rod.

Thanks!!

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 04:42:39 PM »
On the 54-5 Willys cars with the 226, the accelerator bracket is NOT at a 90 degree angle. The pictured car is a 51K and the intake manifold is taller where the carb rests so, on that year, the bracket is square to the head. On the 54-5 W cars, it is slightly bent towards the carb and the rod does slant down to the carb a bit.

The detent rod rubbing is a common problem and is due to wear at every attachment point. I got lucky and found and NOS set up and it fits without interfering with anything nearby.

If I can find a clear photo of the setup on my 54W Aero Eagle Custom, I'll post it.