Author Topic: A piece of Kaiser-Frazer history on eBay  (Read 3039 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
A piece of Kaiser-Frazer history on eBay
« on: December 19, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »
Some of you may have seen the original Frazer U.S. Trademark Application from 1946 on eBay  It is signed by Joseph W. Frazer president of Graham Paige Corp. and as registered was the sole property of G.P. and not the Kaiser Frazer Corp.  It came with two  pages and two original photos of early Frazer's that I had never seen before.  This is the trade mark application papers for the original Frazer cars and is an important piece of K-F History .  It really belongs in a museum but there is no K.F. museum.  I was lucky enough to be the high bidder and will have it on display at the upcoming San Diego meet.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 07:44:27 PM by gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A piece of Kaiser-Frazer history on eBay
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 08:36:22 PM »
There are a couple of businesses reproducing the Patent Office paperwork for various car companies including Kaiser-Frazer and Graham-Paige.  As these are public documents, they can be obtained from the Patent Office for a fee and can be legally copied.  While I have not seen the actual item on eBay I suggest that anyone interested in this item as a one-of-a-kind thing (with pricing accordingly) contact the seller to confirm if this is "the original" or a reproduction of the original.  If the original, find out what kind of authenticity proof is offered.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 09:36:56 PM »
I always worry about authenticity too and have a copy of the 1949 Frazer hood ornament patent paper which is obviously a copy but still interesting.  This seller has 221 feedbacks @100% positive and guarantees the documents authenticity.  Paying by Paypal also relieves the pressure as if it is a copy I will have recourse.  If anyone wants to check it out it is ebay #150319976258.  I have not received it yet but will be anxious to see that it is authentic.  Please post your comments and I will report on the condition of the document as soon as it arrives. This is for the trade mark and not from the Patent Office.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:43:17 PM by gordie »
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 06:32:18 PM »
This same seller who is a retired patent attorney recently auctioned off the original 1947 Frazer hood ornament and all of the  patent papers that were included.  I missed that one but a member of our club was the lucky winner and he is very happy with it's authenticity and provenence.  I will be very happy to receive my papers too.  It is amazing what shows up on eBay!
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:04:02 PM »
I bought the documents and the Frazer emblem. They appear legitimate. What do you think?

'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 10:15:37 PM »
This appears to be the rough draft of the cover letter for the application.  The actual application should have drawings or photos of what is to be covered (which the photos attached here seem to be).  The actual application would not have the hand written corrections and additions.  Having not seen the actual document and held it, I cannot be completly certain, but it is a good possibility.  Who was the seller and what information (if any) did the seller provide as to where they obtained the item from?

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:05 PM »
These same photos were in the trade mark application that I bid on.  The application numbers on the two applications are just a few numbers apart so they were probably submitted the same day by the same patent attorney.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:47:56 PM »
Before I purchased the items I sent an email asking about authenticity. Here is the reply I received.

"The Frazer US Trademark Registration had expired and the entire trademark file was scheduled to be destroyed. I worked as a Trademark Attorney for many years in Crystal City, Virginia, and I intercepted the "Frazer" file (and many other expired and canceled trademark files) before they were destroyed. The fanciful hood emblem is the actual "specimen" submitted along with the two glossy photos that accompanied the trademark application signed by Joseph W Frazer in 1946"

I also wondered about the corrections, but the stamp on the top of the page is from the US Patent and Trademark Office.
There is also an application number stamped on the page. I'm curious to find out what Gordie says when he receives his documents.
Anyway, I ended up with an excellent Frazer emblem, and if it is the original emblem sent to the Patent and Trademark Office I consider it a treasure.
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 02:24:57 PM »
My paper work arrived in the mail today and it is just as described.  The original petition, photos, statement and power of attorney  and declaration to the Commissioner of Patents dated and rubber stamped from the mail division, U.S. Patent Office May 24,, 1946.  It is signed twice in blue ink by Joseph W Frazer and notarized.  I am very pleased that this rare document was saved and it will be in our K-F Club community.  This is the original trade mark application for the first Frazer car. 
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom