Author Topic: Coolant seeping out around head studs  (Read 3037 times)

TomsHenryJ

• View Profile
    • Email
Coolant seeping out around head studs
« on: January 04, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Restoring a '51 Henry J per previous posts.  We've been working on the body in parallel with finishing up the rolling frame.  Over the weekend we got the exhaust on it back to the muffler and got the freshly recored radiator back on the channel (which we powder coated - that should last a lifetime!).  Tonight we mounted up the rebuilt carb and hooked everything up.  Rigged a hot lead for the coil and a line over to a gas can.

After the pump primed and filled the carb he started right up!  Smooth and steady, purrs like a kitten.

Was warming him up and tweaking the carb adjustments when we noticed antifreeze seeping out around many of the head studs.  We finished tuning things up and shut him down, retorqued the head.  Started him up, still leaking.  Switched the radiator cap to a zero pound open cap (came on our parts car) and tried again - still leaking.

When we rebuilt the engine we used copper spray on the head gasket.  We researched the rebuild in the KF shop manual, the US Army rebuild manual for Willys 134 L head, and a Clymers.  I don't recall any of them mentioning steps to avoid this.  I remember rebuilding an Olds V8 that specifically called for sealant on certain studs to avoid leaks...

Should we have used permatex or RTV on the studs?  If so, can they be pulled now from above the head and reinserted with sealant?

Maybe we have a bad head gasket?

Any experiences or ideas would be appreciated!
Dave and Tom

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Coolant seeping out around head studs
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 10:41:59 PM »
I haven't rebuilt any fours but I have done a number of six cylinder Js and I've never put any spray or permatex on the head gasket and never had one leak.  The four could be different though so it may mean nothing. You could have a bad head gasket.  Also, did you remove the studs and clean the holes out? I've heard that can make a difference too. 
And... I hate to ask, but is it certain the block is not... cracked?  If it's seeping around the studs, likely not but I have seen least one flathead Kaiser engine that had hair line cracks around one of the studs.
It may be a good idea to wait and see what other forum users may post regarding this before you do anything.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 09:18:57 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Lisa P

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 11:15:00 PM »
Hi guys, I just replaced the head and head gasket on my '48 Kaiser.  For cost purposes, I re-used the head bolts but cleaned all the threads before I put them back in.  I also used a sealant (gas and oil resistant) on all the bolts in the head as I was told that many on my car go directly into the water jacket.  I would bet that putting a thread sealant on those bolts wouldn't hurt.  I'm new at this and learning, but I would also think that if you removed-sealed-and replaced them one at a time it would be ok.  I'm sure others will chime in, they'll know more.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 01:50:17 PM »
Just for the record, I will point out that the Kaiser and Frazer engines (226 CID) used bolts to fasten the head whereas the Henry J (both 134 CID and 161 CID) had studs with nuts on them. It is possible that the studs may have to have this done.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

TomsHenryJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:49:47 AM »
OK, I pulled the studs one at a time and sealed them with number 2 permatex.  No seeping until it got hot, then a couple seeped.  But i also noticed antifreeze dripping out around the radiator cap!  Cooled it off and found the real problem (although sealing the studs probably would have been needed even at 4 pounds pressure) - when we had the radiator recored (which they did a nice job of) they didn't clean out the overflow tube.  And I hadn't noticed it was plugged up tight!  So the system was pulling much more than 4 pounds of pressure, enough to seep fluid out of the top cap seal.

It was really plugged with lime and dirt - had to tap on a coat hanger wire to get it through then made a makeshift "rat" out of a piece of brazing rod flattened and sharpened at the end.  Spun that slow with a drill and worked it down from the top and up from the bottom, got it cleaned out.  Flushed with water and air, put all back together and everything is fine!

Thanks for all the advice
Dave

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:06:54 AM »
Great news Dave!  I forgot to ask, and maybe you already said, but does the car have overdrive?
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

TomsHenryJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:16:55 PM »
Yes, the one we are restoring is a 3 speed OD setup.  I haven't gotten under the parts car to see if its got the OD or not, and didn't notice if it had the cable for it on the dash - will have to look tonight.  I went through the tranny and OD, all was in fantastic shape.  Also cleaned and checked over the OD switches and solenoid - all good there too.

Other than the air cleaner we have all the parts for the one we are restoring - as i use parts from the "parts car" i've been putting the parts from ours back out there.  So it should be fairly complete when we are done.  Bottom of body is really bad - looks like it sat in the weeds a long time.  Seller said frame was solid (and he ran a shop with lifts) but i haven't been under it yet.  I'm hoping when we are done someone will give the second car a good home and get it back on road, or maybe i'll fix it up...

Thanks Fid
dlh