Author Topic: Supercharged '53 2 Door Production Numbers  (Read 11728 times)

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
Re: Supercharged '53 2 Door Production Numbers
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 01:10:18 AM »
I saw what appeared to be a 2 door 1953 Kaiser Dragon with a super charger at the 1990 KFOCI Meet in New Orleans.  I never saw under the hood but the car had the "Dragon" and "Supercharger" badges on the sides and all was plated in gold.  It also had the 1954 Tail light configuration.
Here are some captures I got off the video tape I made of the meet. I don't have any actual photos of it other than these captures. Sorry for the poor quality.

L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 09:09:30 AM »
The car is owned by Larry Smith of Iowa. It's a fake, he assembled it himself and always claimed it was his own invention. He and John Haller of Mpls also did a their own version of a 1953 Virginian or something of that nature. Cool cars but not factory issue. There was an article about Larry's homemade Dragon in the Autumn 1972 KFOC Quarterly. I also remember Larry conveying the story of how he built the car at several KF Club meets over the years. He made it from a 1951 Kaiser 2 door body and hung all the accessories he could on it - Power Steering, wire wheels etc. all of which can be seen in the photo above.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 05:00:14 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 02:32:58 PM »
At the National in Prescott Arizona a 54 Dragon also showed up.  I am sure it was a homemade model as well.  Nice looking car all the same.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

mikeljon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
Although this is an old topic, I am new to the Forum and I just recently discovered it.  I thought I would explain the origin of the Kaiser "Sprint".  In 1970, I purchased a green 1953 2 door Deluxe w/od from Joe Borroz, of Vancouver Washington.  Joe and his brother had 3-4 KF products between them and had been members of the KF club for many years.  The car need paint, some body work and an engine rebuild.  Since I had received a Fullbright scholarship to study in Yugoslavia for 1970 and 1971, I left the car as-is until I returned to Portland, OR in 1972.

Originally, I planned to use the car as a daily driver, but the car I wanted to drive (55 K 4 door) from Portland, Oregon to the 1974 KF National in Willow Run was not going to be ready for the trip.  (That car is now owned by Dr. Don Dettore). We (Club member Evan Heis and I) decided to take the 53 Deluxe instead of the 55.  Most of the body work, paint, chrome, basic mechanical and detail work was completed about a week before we were scheduled to leave.

Since we had a couple of extra superchargers and related accessories, we decided at the last minute to put a blower on the 53 and have it judged at the meet in the modified class.  Because of the time crunch, we ended up cutting some corners.  For example, instead of using steel spacers to move the radiator forward we settled for wood.  For the air cleaner, we built a bracket, secured it under a head bolt and fabricated a paper element cleaner from a 62 Plymouth with a two barrel carb.

The most interesting modification involved the piece of sheet metal that covers the front of the radiator.  With the radiator moved forward to clear the blower and the crankshaft pulley, the original 53 part no longer fit.  In a really neat piece of KF engineering, we discovered that they managed to modify the part used on the 51-53 series  to accommodate the 54/55 redesign.  We found that by bending the lower secton of the 54 part (Which is bolted to the grill) to match the contour of the 53, the bolt holes lined up and the part fit perfectly, and it provided the necessary clearance for the radiator and blower pulley. Next time you see a 54 and 53 together, take a look at this engineering shortcut.

The night before we were to begin the 3000 mile trip to Detroit, we still did not have the 53 together.  The last item to install was the re-chromed Kaiser Deluxe script.  We found the Kaiser section but the Deluxe was missing.  We had been working on the 53 in the used car reconditioning area of my uncle's Toyota dealership in Portland, Oregon.  As we searched unsuccessfully through boxes of Kaiser parts we decided that we would just go with Kaiser on the fender; that is until we saw some discarded script in a trash barrel.  The script read "Toyota" "Sprinter".   Since we only had a few hours left before departure we hastilly cut the "er" from "Sprinter" and attached it to the 53's fenders.

Because we did not have time to road test the 53 before we left, many, many things went wrong.  I installed the electric wipers backwards (With the blower, the original vacuum set had to be replaced). When I turned the wipers on they cut a swath across the newly painted hood instead of the windshield.  The rebuilt master cylinder leaked,  the generator and starter had to be re- rebuilt on the road, the base broke off the distributor and on and on.  The other members of our cross country caravan eventually ran out of patience, since we were stopping every 2-3 hours for repairs.  The eventful trip was later chronicled by club member, Gary Gudmunson for the quarterly.  The car, however won a third place at the national in the modified class.

The most embarrassing aspect of the Kaiser Sprint story occurred at the Willow Run National.  I lost count of the number of Kaiser "experts" that came by to explain how, when and why KF made a 53 "Sprint".  There was never any intent to pass the car off as one-off a kind factory special, but even after I attempted to explain the Sprint's history some people could not be convinced.  The Langworth book should be required reading for anyone planning to spend $ on a so-called one-off KF car. 

I drove the "Sprint" for many years after I moved from Portland to Milwaukee, Wisc and later to the Chicago area.  About 1983, I sold the car to club member Evan Heis and eventually lost track of it.

It amazes me that anyone can look at the "hurry-up" modifications we made and think the factory had anything to do with it. 

On a side note, I did own a 54 early Special trimmed as a 54 Dragon that had a factory supercharger installed.  The car, the leather interior, the engine and the blower were all black.  The car was apparently built for the 1954 Chicago auto show.  Lowell Johnson kept the car, I retained the blower, which was sold to Dr. Dettore along with my 55K.

That is the long-winded story of the 1953 Kaiser Sprint; not a factory special but more a function of my inability to keep track of parts.

Michael Misetich 1993
mmisetich@grandecom.net
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 01:00:52 AM by mikeljon »

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 11:08:15 PM »
Thanks for the info, Fid, and the story, Mickeljon!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 04:50:49 AM »
The comment about a 1954 Dragon is interesting.  At least 2 1953 Kaisers -- one show Dragon and the only 1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door Traveler known to be built by the factory --stayed in factory hands and ended up at Toledo.  They got 1954 front cowls, superchargers and 1954 tail lights (looked like an Eary Special).  Going through the Dragon (which belonged to my father at the time of his death) we found enough info to verify that the front fenders were not production type (no pre punched holes for script) and notations chalked on the inside door panels confirmed the people doing work were factory mechanics in the company garage. 

mikeljon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »
Recently I found a few pictures of the Kaiser "Sprint" and added them to my previous post for anyone who is interested.

Michael Misetich
mmisetich@grandecom.net