Author Topic: instrument voltage regulator '53 Kaiser  (Read 2273 times)

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
instrument voltage regulator '53 Kaiser
« on: February 16, 2011, 03:58:10 PM »
Hi All,   Has anyone run accross a new voltage regulator replacement?   I haven't had luck with NOS.  The readings aren't very accurate.  The needles change reading on temp, fuel, oil pressure.   The amp reading seems to be the only one that's accurate since it shows slightly charging.  Either that or it's broken too.   I put the NOS part on and no change.  thanks,  Jim

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: instrument voltage regulator '53 Kaiser
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »
Are the changes in reading abrupt? Or, do they slowly fluctuate? I ask because if they change quickly, you have a ground problem and not a regulator issue. If they fluctuate slowly, that's part of owning a Kaiser! The fuel gauge will change based on the car's inclination. If you're going up or down a hill, then the reading will change...it does on all of my KF's. Oil pressure will change too, based on engine speed. To tell if your volatge regulator needs swapped, turn on the headlights and watch the temp gauge. Did it climb into the hot range...if so, then the regulator needs swapped.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 05:45:07 PM »
The changes are slow.  The fuel guage and oil pressure change as you mention.    The temp reading is the mystery.   It's not hot and I've gotten the radiator done.   I've changed the sensor on the motor a couple times and the needle keeps moving to the hot about 1/64" from the mark when I'm doing 60 mph. I'll check per your suggestion.   thanks

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
Before you invest in any more head scratching about temperature, see if you can get "real" temperature readings, like an infrared gun arrangement, or tapping off to a new digital gauge. There are all sorts of reasons why you might get a hot reading, real or imagined. My 49 has run hot at times for 1) failing water pump 2) failing thermostat failing to circulate water at the RIGHT speed to get maximum heat transfer through the radiator--especially noticeable when FINE at 45-50 and suddenly HOT at 55-60 3) radiator which flowed fine but had an insulating coating on the original rad 4) wonky carburator running too lean 5) ignition too advanced at times 6) tight engine after rebuild.7) failing grounds on wires/sender. I most be a poster child for all the problems.
Oh wait, isn't pump cavitation another problem that would suddenly appear under slightly higher RPMs when it might not be an issue at iddle or at moderate load and speed?

Besides, Continental engines "can" run warm especially if you are running them at high--for them--RPM. If ever there was an automobile that liked a winding two lane highway and overdrive, its a Kaiser/Frazer.

Just saying, maybe your car is hot, maybe its not.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 09:15:52 PM »
If you have swapped sending units and keep getting too high readings, the problem could be a partial short to ground between the sensor and the gauge. Kaiser instruments are designed to read bottom of the scale when the sensor outputs 71 ohms, and full scale at 10 ohms. The temperature sending unit decreases its resistance as the temperature rises. If there is another path to ground that is between these values it would raise the temperature reading. As there is basically just a wire between sensor and gauge I would carefully check it for frayed insulation, or anything that would provide an extraneous ground path. I've seen this happen-a quick thing to check before doing something harder.