Author Topic: Gear shift  (Read 5258 times)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Gear shift
« on: March 27, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »
'51 Frazer three-on-the-column w/o warning stopped engaging in reverse.  Gearshift does not engage but I cannot find anything broken or binding. No cotter keys missing, nothing loose I can discern. I believe it is the frontmost linkage that should be UP when in reverse, but even when I'm under the car pushing it up, it will not remain up.  There is (and has been) a lot of slop but it's shifted before now.  I am able to slide the two linakges back and forth a good bit under the car but not sure what impact this may or may not have.  1st thru 3rd appear alright, it's just reverse I think.  What should I look for?
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Gear shift
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:16:35 PM »
The OD rail switch may be stuck. It's the square switch on the back of the transmission. My 50K did the same thing and when I pulled the switch off the trans as a test, I got my reverse back.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:40:35 PM »
Well, I'm not so lucky.  After removing the square switch and getting no positive results we we able to determine that the lower front lever is not moving at all, neither up or down. I thought the lower lever was 2nd and 3rd but it must be 1st and reverse at least as installed on this car.  Perhaps the previous owner has them reversed? But it's still been driveable for the three years I've owned the car. But after pulling the long round cover plate off the steering column, two semi cylindrical pieces of metal fell out the bottom; they almost appear to be pot metal. So the problem does indeed appear to be "something" broken under the cover in the steering column. Cover not completely off yet to try and see what has broken.  I did pull the car into the garage so 1st muct have been working at least at that time.  This doesn't sound good at all, particularly if it's pot metal and the difficult location.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 01:33:36 PM »
A problem that does occur with the 49-51 F and 49-50 K is slop or breakage of the shaft guide up at the top that the shift leaver connects to. There are machined "slots" in the part of the piece that the shaft connects with and when these wear too much the levers down at the bottom start to hang or bind when shifting. I gave away a number of the shaft guides before I got my Vagabond and it suffers from sloppy shifting. So I ended up having to buy a replacement which I have not installed yet. This could be your problem but I am not sure if pieces broke off they would show up where you found them. On page 108 in the 49-50 parts book you can find a diagram that shows the part. It is key # 26 and in group 9.310 part number 205417. May be I can take a pic of my spare if you think it could be your problem.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »
I have almost a complete upper mechanism from a 51F that I parted out years ago. If you can figure out what you need, I'm pretty sure I can help.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 04:19:46 PM »
Amazing my camera had fresh batteries in it and I could actually find the part. Then all I had to do was figure out how to use the wonderful "control panel" on my website all over again. My site provider decided to quit grandfathering all old farts and forced us to learn the new panel  ::). Anyway here it is. Note I am also using a new graphics program that allowed me to put text on the pic. Neat program that is free.

http://www.kfnut.com/shaftguide.jpg
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:13:51 PM »
Yep, the piece that is broken is the one with hold in it where it slides across the screw.  Am I going to have to pull the steering wheel?  It's the piece that goes around the pin, item #30 in the photo. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 05:18:51 PM by Doc »
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 07:20:53 PM »
I have that part...if you need it, let me know. I might have NOS, I know I have decent used.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
OK,  I'll take what you are willing to part with.  I'm sending you an email and you can let me know the cost.  That would be great. I was just getting the car set for spring shows when this happened. Thanks. Wonder why they made the part out of pot metal instead of stainless steel.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:07:21 PM by Doc »
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 04:52:06 AM »
Randy...got your email...I'll have it in this afternoon's mail. Gotta get that Frazer back on the road!

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 06:54:41 AM »
Thanks Jim. Appreciate it very much!
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 04:33:51 PM »
I did not find all the fragments to this broken part so suspect it was partially broken before I got the car and it's just been hanging in there until now.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 09:17:19 PM »
On the road again! 
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan