Author Topic: HEMMINGS AND KAISER FRAZER  (Read 4380 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
HEMMINGS AND KAISER FRAZER
« on: April 17, 2011, 07:15:49 AM »
I just received the latest issue of HEMMINGS CLASSIC CAR.
Several observations:

(1)...pg. 12 has June calendar of events----No mention of any KF meets as usual

(2)...pg. 49 good article about Independents, including KF, and dropping membership in the clubs/possibility of clubs joining together.

(3)...pg. 54 "2011 Car Club Directory".  69 clubs are listed, including Willys Overland Jeepster, but no KF!!!
It is stated that this list is a small fraction of the 10,000 clubs that can be found in their website.

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HEMMINGS AND KAISER FRAZER
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »
I noticed. Hudson, Nash, etc. there but no Kaiser/Frazer. A bit disappointing.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 10:57:26 AM »
It is up to the National Officers to notify the various car club magazines as to current addresses and other particulars for inclusion in such directories or publications.  Some publiciations, as policy, only will accept information from the club's officers, even needing to be on letterhead.  This is part of their verification processes to assure that only "official" information gets listed.

As for the column on problems with clubs, each KFOCI member (but only less than 5% actually visit the forum, it seems) taking some other make car to an event (unless is it a marquee specific function with only their brands to be present) helps negate the KFOCI.  When I had cars, I took them to as many general meets as I could.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »
Kaiserfrazerlibrary, I don't understand what you by mean by "each KFOCI member taking some other make car to an event helps negate the KFOCI."  Do you mean KFOCI members taking a Ford, for example, instead of their Kaiser, would not be giving the Kaiser exposure?

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:48:06 AM »
I was disappointed as well noticing the lack of any mention of the KFOCI. but I figured it was due to club size, and I figrued the KFOCI was a smallish group.

As far as exposure to KF cars, I'm trying my best out here in So Cal  ;)
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:01:24 PM »
To answer the question from LOGAN

I know of a number of members who rarely if ever take a K-F product to the general car shows in their area.  Reasons vary and I won't go into them here.

Put yourself in the position of a person interested in old cars and thinking about actually making a purchase.  You go to car shows to see what is for sale or otherwise appears.  You do not see Kaiser-Frazer products.  You walk through the vendor spaces at swap meets.  How many vendors have Kaiser-Frazer parts and what parts do they have?  I have found that a lot of people in such actual positions note the lack of cars seen and lack of parts and conclude (incorrectly) that there are few, if any cars around and that parts are very hard (and as such, very expensive) to come by.

We have a great story to tell people about the cars, we can show them you can get all kinds of parts at competitive prices (compared to other makes of similar vintage) and we can tell them about a club with a lot of helpful members.  But to do so, we have to show up at events with cars and things like recent MONTHLY BULLETIN copies as proof of all this.  

That's what I mean about taking cars to events.  I know that a lot of members do so, but also know others who do not.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 05:01:05 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 03:14:42 PM »
The omission by Hemmings was a topic of discussion by the officers present at last weekend's Eastern Division Meet. Without pointing fingers, let's just say that a certain publication dropped the ball and didn't list the club. We will be looking for someone to take on the role of publicity manager to ensure that our name is present where and when it should be. Any volunteers?

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 01:14:47 AM »
What would the position of publicity manager entail? Does the job require an extensive list of contacts in the car hobby? Because if it doesnt require the person to have been around the hobby for a while Id love to see what I could do. If it requires making calls and or e-mailing the appropriate people Id love to do my part.
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 05:11:11 AM »
I would expect that the position of Publicity Manager (for lack of a better term) would entail contacts or other familiarity with people at major old car publications.  They would have to be very knowledgeable about the club and cars.

In the past, notifications to car publications about schedule items were done by those hosting meets or other events (they also were to contact local news media about the club).  The Club Secretary also sent out "change of address" information to the car clubs when officers shifted after elections.    If the publication or news outlet decides not to act on the information provided, we have no control over that but the previous system worked well for decades.

Where we may (note I am not certain on this point) have problems today is that people from car magazines, etc, come out to events and either find no one around (everybody goes out on the tour, event, etc) and the Hospitality Room locked or there are only a handful of automobiles.   We don't get ink for a half-dozen cars.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
The omission by Hemmings was a topic of discussion by the officers present at last weekend's Eastern Division Meet. Without pointing fingers, let's just say that a certain publication dropped the ball and didn't list the club. We will be looking for someone to take on the role of publicity manager to ensure that our name is present where and when it should be. Any volunteers?

I don't think it is a big deal to lay blame for what did or did not happen in the past. We just need to make sure that going forward we are included.

I need to pick up that Hemmings Classic Car and read it. I know that in 2009 or 2010 there was a nice write up on a Kaiser club coupe and our club's information was included.

I would volunteer for this position but my concern is: How do I make it to Hershey every year? I can't. I went in 2010 and it was overwhelming.  Do we have a tent at Hershey?
#2. I am very recent member and maybe someone would not trust me with this task.
No old cars owned.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 01:18:54 PM »
WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL ABOUT HERSHEY?  WHY IS THAT A DEAL BREAKER? 

While I realize that the Hershey and Carlisle meets are probably the biggest general swap meets and car shows in the country, it is not the entire hobby.  There are dozens (if not hundreds) of major national or regional events across the country each year for the old car hobby.  In this electronic age, you need to get out press releases to the news media and encourage people from the old car magazines to visit club functions.  Better yet, do for your KFOCI function what Barbara and I did for the 2010 Fall Midwest Division Meet we hosted.  We did a photo spread and article on the event (including mention of the 1955 Willys 2-door sedan & what we believe was the first presentation on the new motor oil grading system released last fall by the API).   

I suggest everyone look past PA as there is a bigger world out there than you may believe.

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 02:26:57 PM »
At one time John Parker was the prime source of new members. He sent info on the club to anyone who inquired about parts. Some response was generated by advertising in Old Cars etc. But when I started the club website that soon became the largest source of new members and we did not have the capability of online membership then. I suspect the internet is still the best source of new members. I also was sure to send a copy of the Quarterly to the club editor at Old Cars and several times they ran lengthy reviews etc. When I was vending at swap meets I always had a sign up offering info on the club as well.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
The club does not have an official presence at any swap meet...however...many of our members do set up at meets across the country and do actively talk about the cars and the club. The idea of a publicity manager is still just in the conversation phase but it is something that we should...and need to...do. I have an action item to talk to the other officers in San Diego in June and I'm sure we'll come away with a better job description. Stay tuned!

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 07:44:09 PM »
Oh No! Not Another Appointed Special Officer! We don't need one - we need our regular members to show enthusiasm. If your favorite publication doesn't list KFOCI, then set them straight. If you vend at a swap meet - no matter how small, then let the marks (people shuffling through the rows of vendors) know that KF is spoken here. 
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »
Can't argue with that, definitely will try do my part.
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe