Author Topic: 54 Manhattan FS  (Read 1895 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
54 Manhattan FS
« on: April 02, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2282072879.html

I think it is overpriced. Sounds like a KFOCI member. Anybody know this one?
If so, why has it not been offered within the club?

$21,000 is probably too much to ask for even a 54 Kaiser. Except a Darrin.  This person seems to have enjoyed this car for some time. Why di people feel the need to make money on an ejoyed old car?  Pass it on.
No old cars owned.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 54 Manhattan FS
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 04:38:48 PM »
I don't know that their intentions are to make money necessarily. Some of these long-time owners are well into their 70s and are no longer able to give an old car the attention that it needs... and they do need attention.  I always admire the people who realize this and care enough about the car to choose to pass it on to someone else who will enjoy and maintain it.  I can't tell you how many people I've encountered in my years in the hobby who would not sell a decent car, then it sits and deteriorates, beyond repair in some cases, and then the junk man gets it.  All because they had that "I'll never sell it" or "Some day I'm going to restore it..." attitude. Yes, the car is a bit over-priced and I'm sure that will be addressed eventually but at least there's a chance that it won't rot away in poor storage or be abused by kids who will get it and don't know or care about it.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »
A stick O/D 54 Manhattan is a rare beast and rarer yet in all black. My uncle had it's near-clone except that his had red leather seats and the ultra rare grey steering wheel. My cousins did the car in...but that's another story for another day. While $21K is alot of money for a Kaiser, it won't be too long until prices realized for 54s and 55s in excellent condition will be hitting that mark. Right now, this car is probably a fair buy in the higher teens.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 06:54:31 PM »
The key here is "excellent condition" or better than they came off the assembly line. 

While it would be nice to figure that the pile of rotted junk behind the garage is worth several thousand dollars because it is a Kaiser, Frazer or Henry J and hope that fully restored it would sell for $20-30,000 dollars, the reality is something else.  Given the current cost of restoration labor and re-chroming the parts that are no longer easy to find as NOS, restoration would be a labor of love unless you can do all the work yourself.  As for fully restored, unless the car has an interesting history (like the 1948 Manhattan owned by movie and radio stars Phil Harris and Alyce Faye) or you find just the right buyer who doesn't care about how much is spent (and there is not much of that going around these days) the majority of even very good restorations (except for Virginians, Dragons convertibles and Darrins) will be hard pressed to cross the 15,000 plateau.

Check out the NOT SOLD efforts at automobile auctions and look at the numbers yourself.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »
This is a very pretty car, and I like the stick shift.  Gray steering wheel?  I didn't know any 54-55 Kaisers had gray steering wheels.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »
all depends what the cars condition is, I am finishing my 53 all Vinyl Dragon and money spent so far is over $ 17,500 and i'm not finished

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
Cars offered for sale in the club's MONTHLY BULLETIN get there because a club member has submitted the information or someone has contacted Barbara and she has listed it under her member number for 1 month;  this is established ad policy that is noted in the BULLETIN.   There is a legal issue with trolling other sources (Hemmings, Craigs List, etc) and pulling ads for K-F or selected Willys product.  There have been cases in the past where a club member has elected NOT to run an ad for a car or stuff for sale because they figure they can get "their price" by going to the uninformed who find out later they paid too much. 

With regard to Dusty's comment on the Dragon, it seems current going price for an all-vinyl 1953 Dragon (if the numbers check out) is in the $20,000 - $26,500 range, more if the car has an unusual history or unusual factory accessories.  The car which (at the time of sale) was considered the top point example in the club sold at around $30,000 or thereabouts.  This was a car with established pedigree (several gold awards and peoples or judges choice awards from KFOCI National Meets) and very well detailed..in fact it might even be considered a "better than when new" condition car.