Author Topic: Engine Parts  (Read 2917 times)

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
Engine Parts
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »
I know you can purchase a majority of Engine parts from distributors such as Kanter for our cars, but at the possibility of over paying, I am curious as to what other options there are.

I stumbled across these listings : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380216068409&viewitem=

and while they don't mention Kaiser or Frazer, I can't imagine why these parts wouldn't be applicable for us?

I'd love to get any insight any of you might have on the best places to purchase items such as these. I'm planning on doing a major engine rebuild in the future and would love to know where to go for good parts at reasonable prices.
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1955 Packard Clipper Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine Parts
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
Check the price lists put out by vendors who routinely advertise in the KFOCI MONTHLY BULLETIN or offer their wares at KFOCI events.  This is a good starting point.  Another source for many mechanical items will be those selling jeep parts that include the late 1950's 226 flathead 6 (station wagon and truck applications). 

In some cases you will need to know the Willys/KJ/Jeep Division AMC part numbers and foot them back to the correct K-F number for the particular year, etc, automobile.  Kaiser-Frazer made running changes just like other car companies did to their component parts with some being interchangeable and others not useable on earlier (or later) vehicles.

Kantner will be among the most expensive for anything K-F.

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:27:49 PM »
Are a majority of inner workings NOS or Repo?

I know even rockauto sells items for our cars. http://www.rockauto.com

I'm not concerned with NOS products for this rebuild, If I can get them great if I can't no foul.
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 09:29:36 PM »
Here's my two cents' worth about Kanter: A) they are ALWYS rude when I call on the phone, always, without exception, and they often don't get back to you so you have to call them back B) they are VERY pricy--I would say overpriced--with no appreciable improvement in quality over less expensive parts.  Having said that, they do have a large selection of parts, and I have sometimes bought things from them, but I would try other sources first.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:44:10 PM »
OH! When I bought my 49, its needed the engine rebuilt right away. The guy at the corner who is an old fashioned mechanic knew by looking at it that it was a Continental engine as he had seen many over the years--some tractors had 4 cyl Continentals, but the Massey and Massey/Ferguson used the 6sixes, some being 244 CID (different crank, won't interchange in a KF) but also all the industrial engines--Lincoln welders, Clark forklifts, mobile on trailers compressors, generators, irrigation pumps.  He just asked me for my manual, noted the piston and rod sizes and displacement, and that was all that was needed. Listen, almost ALL the parts necessary for a complete rebuild were on the shelf of a small town parts place a few miles away. The rest came next morning on the truck from the closest warehouse 100 miles away. Pistons, full rebuild kit, new valves, everything. Any place that does tractors, or heavy or industrial equipment and has a few people older than 22 will know what you are talking about. Continental=KF=M/F=Checker=Clark=Lincoln=etc

This ad on Ebay seems to be for the right stuff, just check the workshop manual. I think I had 20 over just like these put in.

Another BIG piece of GOOD ADVICE for anyone needing stuff done on your Kaiser or Frazer or Studebaker etc. You want someone who understands zerk fittings, grease guns, flat tappets in old engines needing oils with Zinc & Phosphorus for sacrifice coatings  (like ZDDP, or some RACING oils) KING PINS etc---save yourself aggravation and $$$ and check out a place that works on big trucks and heavy equipment. A lot of that type of stuff still uses king pins and zerks and they understand it unlike some more modern garages. I get lots of stuff done by a big tire shop which does transports (they even have split rim equipment and people properly trained to use it safely) and they know all about king pins and old style suspensions and drum brakes and drive shafts etc.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
Logan, I hope that's not Chris Leucht our KF Club Webmaster (the super nice young guy that runs this site) answering the phone.  He works at Kanter you know!   ;)
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »
Oops, didn't know that!  Well, I'm sure it wasn't him.  But seriously, they really have treated my like they don't care about my business when I've called in.

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 01:23:28 AM »
This months Kanter catalog has a nice photo of Chris with his car  looks very sharp I like the two tone red and white combination.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252

Cortes121

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 08:18:52 PM »
it is an awesome Willys! Wish I had a sharp willys like that.
- Anthony

1951 Kaiser Deluxe