Author Topic: NATIONAL MEET  (Read 9894 times)

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NATIONAL MEET
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 07:04:23 PM »
The SDC had a National in Mass back in the 90's. It wasn't well attended. That may be a state that should be avoided as a potential site.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 10:20:44 PM »
Massachusetts - BCA (Buick Club of America) has had 2 Nationals in Danvers, and it wasn't meant to be a nod to KFOCI, but just an observation that the next 2 BCA Nationals are probably too "eastern" and there has been some grumbling BUT no one else (no other chapter or region) stepped up for 2012 so Charlotte got it. The Charlotte NC bid was a good one though.

Some things to consider:  Charlotte and our last National in Ames, Iowa - leaned heavily on the local tourism boards and for Charlotte they are handling a large chunk of the planning and coordinating.

I am new to the KFOCI so am totally unfamiliar with how National meet locations are decided upon but I have done advance planning for Springfield, Missouri and Provo, Utah and would be glad to help with a Springfield MO KFOCI National meet.

I thought about Springfield Missouri because it is so centrally located, on major highways, close to Buick (and I would think KF) owner numbers in Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and so on and prices are moderate. Yea, who cares about a fancy motel. I ran an AACA "Poll" about what members want at their National meet and host hotel "luxury" was not a priority. Getting together with friends and the cars were #1.

I am not a BCA National veteran (as a volunteer/coordinator) but did help out this past year because it was 15 miles away in Ames, Iowa. I am here to help with the KFOCI for national meet planning and coordination but don't want to seem like an intruder as a new comer to the club.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 10:24:18 PM by Roadmaster49 »
No old cars owned.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 06:10:01 PM »
You want to put on a KF National? You start by going to a KF National and spending more than just a day. You try to learn about every function that is held over the 6 days (Sunday evening through Friday morning).  When you think you have a plan, talk to your Regional Manager and Divisional Director.
We had several groups of members in the Eastern and Midwest Divisions who had put on a number National Meets but unfortunately we have lost many of them.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 04:48:57 AM »
It is fair to presume that many old car owners--regardless of club--that cater to pre 1955 automobiles will NOT drive their vehicles (or trailer them) clear across the 48 United States to attend a National Convention.  The requirement of rotating the KFOCI meet between Eastern, Midwest and Western divisions is in the club's "working papers" and as such is a done deal.  It is to the credit of the Eastern Division that on more than one occasion over the years, they have set up Nationals at the far edges of their "turf", including the 2012 National in Tennessee...they could have just as easily gone to places like Bangor Maine, Bennnington Vermont (no slight intended to the people at Hemmings) or Key West, Florida instead.

The problem today with that is the price of travel...gasoline, air fares, on-the-road meals and accomidations, etc. Perhaps the rotation should reflect location for travel and who is willing to host.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 07:27:16 PM »
Don't forget the Western Division have put on Nationals at the edge of their 'turf' as well - Ouray, Golden, and Albuquerque.
You don't want to have a big meet in the same general area repeatedly because you are asking one group of people to do a big job over and over again. Their enthusiasm will melt away.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 06:04:48 AM »
DON'T BRING UP THE OURAY COLORADO MEET!

The information supplied to (and printed in) the Monthly Bulletin at the time informed Kaiser owners with automatic transmissions they could not take certain roads to the meet because some of the hills would cause operating problems with the gearbox.  People were also informed that certain main roads in the Ouray area could not be driven at night due to possibility of fog settling in suddenly.  Also, there was no main meet hotel...the people attending were scattered among rooming houses, small motels and just about anyplace one could find a room.  Not very professional in my opinion!

I also disagree most strongly with being a "regular" at National Conventions is a requirement to host a meet.   Usually less than 20% of the total membership attend the National so you are shutting out the vast majority of the members including those who may be interested in doing something in their respective areas.   

How does a site get selected?  As the man from the Buick club notes it goes where people want to do the work to set one up.   

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:22:09 PM »
Ouray was a great meet, even with the downpour during the judging, even with the separate hotels and rooming houses. I didn't travel anywhere other than where the club was at the time, so the roads were not a problem. Old Toby (my Willys Aero) made it over Monarch Pass (11,000 feet above sea level) with a little bit of breathing trouble, but then I was finding my breath a little short as well.

I think complaining about a meet is a waste of time. The hosts go thru all the trouble of setting up the meet for free and usually spend quite a bit of their spare time on it. Not very professional because they are not professionals. They do the best they can with whatever they have to work with. I've been to something like 8 Nationals over the years and have had a good time at each one. Some were more fun or memorable than others, but all were a good time. Just have your mindset that you'll be seeing plenty of your favorite cars and people and it'll all be fine.

Jack has it right though, like all the clubs I know of, whoever wants to volunteer to host a meet is the next host.

And speaking of that 20% or so that show up to the Nationals, that's a good reason to change the voting from those present at the business meeting to a mail-in vote. If I cannot attend a National Meet, I cannot vote on any of the issues. As a member of the club, shouldn't I have that right?
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

amkfken

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:47 PM »
Quote from "our Historian"

DON'T BRING UP THE OURAY COLORADO MEET!

The information supplied to (and printed in) the Monthly Bulletin at the time informed Kaiser owners with automatic transmissions they could not take certain roads to the meet because some of the hills would cause operating problems with the gearbox.  People were also informed that certain main roads in the Ouray area could not be driven at night due to possibility of fog settling in suddenly.  Also, there was no main meet hotel...the people attending were scattered among rooming houses, small motels and just about anyplace one could find a room.  Not very professional in my opinion!

#1--I recommended the route to Ouray avoiding I70 over the divide thru the tunnel as very difficult for ALL Kaisers. This was based on my ownership of Kaisers and residency in Colorado---Not just with Automatic Transmissions, Not problems with the gearbox, just a dam long hard pull at very high elevation and low horsepower.

#2--I don't know where you got the information about fog, it's non existent with humidity at 5 to 20% in this area (and the whole state).

#3 There was a "Headquarters Motel", all people were advised that it would accommodate only a certain amount of K-F owners, a list of many other motels in town were listed with phone numbers, plenty available for everyone, all within short walking distance of any place in town. all with competitive prices.
NO derogatory comments were ever received regarding accommodations, food, walking thru town, and in general the meet in it's entirety.
That was the first car show ever held in Ouray--Guess what--The Corvair club had their national meet in Ouray the following year! I have had many requests since for another meet there from the members that attended-1985-

That is my .06c worth

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 08:37:28 AM »
As I recall the OURAY meet was the one that gave out the large Buffalo Trophies.  I saw them in an old Quarterly.  I was so disappointed when I found out that they were not given out at all KFOCI Nationals.  I so wanted one.   :-*
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »
I thought the Ouray meet was super. I had my first "dummy" issue of the Quarterly with me to show to the officers etc. I recall we had the "board" meeting in a motel room with everyone sitting on beds etc. Of course in those days the board was not really official. I recall Gil Courtain getting me from the parking lot and telling me I was on the board since I was the Quarterly editor and we were about to meet.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 07:10:07 PM »
Trust me, it's time to get over the need for experience and perfection in National meets. Jack, I am a Buick guy but I am a KFOCI member and plan to stay one.  I really like the monthly newsletters and can't want for the quarterly magazine. 

Yes, experience and going to a National helps. I have been to 5 Buick Nationals and they are all much larger I am sure then a KFOCI National. there are problems in all Nationals.   But, initiative and just digging in is better then saying you or your chapter don't have the experience.   The BCA almost did not have a National in 2009 and 2010, because no chapters or regions wanted to step up.

Hint: Lean on the selected city's Tourism infrastructure.
No old cars owned.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 08:34:22 PM »
I don't intend to confuse the source of various comments on the Ouray National as to who said what.
I refer back to the post of June 01, 2011, 09:51:47 PM
Ouray was not just off an exit on a midwest interstate highway. No matter which direction you were coming from, you did have to drive a significant distance on 2 lane roads with some grades that were uncomfortable to flatlanders.
The concern about making over the passes was real because sea level jetted cars (and Olds diesels as well) lost a lot of power at those altitudes. I can bore you with a story that combines those elements.
I think the largest motel had only 40 rooms and the rest had more like 15 to 20. As I recall the "headquarters" motel changed prior to the start, but it really didn't make any difference because the motels didn't have any meeting facilities so those functions were held at the town hall/fire station. It was a real resort town and the KFOCI had essentially booked the whole town. The final headquarters motel had a natural hot springs tub in the back.
Members could walk around the whole town - once you were there, you didn't need to move your car until judging day. There is a distinct boost from having your meet occupy the the majority of a hotel or in this instance, a whole town. You get more and better interest from the merchants which results in a better experience.
The bad part for the younger people was there wasn't any fast food establishments at all. If you wanted a meal, you had to go to a cafe. No Walmarts in either direction.
The bad part for the older guys was there was only 1 grocery store which was more like a convience store. Real Name Brand Beer was expensive and the cheap alternative was "Iron City" which we quickly renamed "Iron Lung."
Ouray was charming and memorable. I am proud to say I was there, and ashamed I did not participate in the steak dinner banquet at the city hall. I doubt our members now would appreciate the unique setting so I would have to say, "Don't do it again."
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 08:41:14 PM »
Mountain Passes and Automatics: There were 3 of us that went to Ouray: Ben Walker, My brother Larry and Myself. Ben & I were in his 54 E Spl with a Chevy 327/3speed while my brother was in a his 52 Manhattan with a Chevy 283/PowerGlide. He did have trouble going over the passes because he was too dumb to manually shift the trans into low range.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
Jack - Where was it said that being a regular participant at the KF National was a requirement prior to making a bid to host one?
It does make sense to attend one to see what is required before making a committment.
It may be possible for 1 member to put on a KF National without asking help from nearby members, but I would think that member would have to have a particularly understanding spouse and children and a few guilible friends.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 09:22:28 PM »
It is a good idea to attend a National meet to help in planning and presentation for a future National meet. Just not absolute.

Question:  How many cars attend a KFOCI National Meet and how many PEOPLE (with or wothout cars) attend a KFOCI National meet?
No old cars owned.