Author Topic: 53K Master cylinder adapter?  (Read 1075 times)

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
53K Master cylinder adapter?
« on: June 11, 2011, 10:36:52 PM »
My '53 K has been disassembled for many years, now going back together. When I look at the output fittings for the master cylinder in the manual, it shows something called an adapter that attaches to the cylinder body, followed by a fitting with one output connected by a bolt that has the other. Said adapter looks different in the manual and the parts book.Now the only parts that seem to have come off of both my car and a parts car are the fitting (a square brass box with one female output)) and the bolt that goes through it and threads into the cylinder body with the other output. I find nothing that looks like the adapter and can't ever remember that my cars had such. Would swear that the bolt and fitting butted right up to the end of the cylinder. Am I missing something? If so, what does it look like? Thanx.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 53K Master cylinder adapter?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:27 AM »
The square fitting with a female output IS your adapter--mine's square as well, even though parts manual and shop manual show a round one.  The front brake lines are hooked into the square fitting at a 90 degree angle to the master cylinder and the rear lines are hooked into the bolt, and they come straight out the back of the master cylinder.  Does that make sense?

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 53K Master cylinder adapter?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »
Thanks. That's what I remembered, but like to make sure on things that effect safe operation. All I can think is that at some point the cylinders were different on the end and required some adapter. Now I will merrily proceed to rebuild the cylinder and finally finish the new brake system.