Author Topic: 54K Rear Axle Locking Up  (Read 1332 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
54K Rear Axle Locking Up
« on: June 12, 2011, 04:50:35 PM »
I had something odd occur with the 54 today. As I was pulling it out of the garage, the left rear wheel locked up...acted like the brake was stuck. The car went into reverse just fine and back OK, but once again, when in a forward gear, it locked. I raised the rear end and rotated everything by hand and it locked up again. It feels like something in the axle is slipping and binding. Any thoughts? I know it's not the brakes as I removed the shoes, put the drum/wheel back on and it did the same thing. Obviously, I'm now leery of driving the thing...

Wildcat

• View Profile
Re: 54K Rear Axle Locking Up
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:18:45 AM »
Hmm, having the same exact problem myself, no warning, just locks the left rear wheel.  I'm stumped.  It only happens going forward and as soon as I tap the brakes it locks right up.  If I go in revers a foot or two it releases and I can go forward until I hit the brake again.  Weak spring maybe? 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:51:52 PM by Wildcat »

Wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 01:48:15 AM »
Joe, I'm not sure if you have yours fixed, but I am pretty sure my brakes caused my headache, both being out of adjustment and a weak return spring, the right side took almost no pressure to brake so all of the pressure would hit the left at once and the spring wasn't strong enough to fight it, that combined with a bad bleed.  The funny thing is I drove mine all day Sunday and Tuesday when I left for work it did it, didn't touch anything in between.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 04:56:15 AM »
I'm sure my problem is in the differential. I pulled the drums and it still did it when rotating by hand.