Author Topic: 2011 NATIONAL MEET WRAP-UP  (Read 1573 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
2011 NATIONAL MEET WRAP-UP
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:13:22 PM »
A note of thanks to all those involved in planning and executing a grand event.
Do something about the traffic next time!

A big thumbs-up for the personalized framed picture for the awards.
This is a great idea that should be considered by future planners.
Of course, it would require a Lee Abrahams, or his ilk, to shoot the pics.

The success of this meet made my 9 days on Route 66 well worth it.

I had to state the above just in case someone somewhere had not heard me talk ad nauseum about my adventure.

Again, thanks to all involved in the activities of the past week.

...with bugs still on the grille
    TT

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2011 NATIONAL MEET WRAP-UP
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
Terry:
I just got a message from one of the Texas members who is in route home mentioning your journey.
People don't connect HJs with epic travels on US 66, but I met a man at a swap meet in Shreveport some years who told me about driving from Arkansas to California in his new 51 HJ 6 cylinder. There was him, his wife, her sister and her sister's husband along with their luggage in the car. When they got to Blythe and the Ag inspection, the inspector asked him to open the trunk. Once the lid was up, the inspector conceded there wasn't any room for fruit or insects.
With cell phones and development along the Interstates there is much less risk of tragic breakdowns along the road than when our cars were new.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
I drove my '53 Henry J from Minneapolis to Auburn, Indiana and back in 2004.  No problems but not the most pleasant ride I ever had.  Seems I have been spoiled with modern cars and driving one that's 50+ years old takes a bit of effort and discomfort so I certainly applaud you as your journey was much longer than mine.  I also drove my '52 Henry J Vagabond from Minneapolis to  Missouri Valley, IA a couple of months later. That was only 360 miles (one way) so it it wasn't too bad.  Auburn was 658 (one way) or something like that.  Henry Js do just fine on long trips, I also drove one from Omaha, NE to Sterling, IL for a meet years ago and drove a '51 J from Minneapolis to Springfield, IL for the national back in '77.  It can be done.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:35:23 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:04:53 PM »
As I recall, the farthest I have driven my HJ (a 51 4 cyl) was to a SCT Regional Meet in Fredericksburg TX (about 325 miles). The convoy included my brother with his 51 HJ modified and Ben Walker and his 51 Deluxe. We started early but had to return home before we were 40 miles away. We started again but my brother complained that his car wasn't running well. Some 130 miles away from home, I discovered his problem was a sliver of rubber (from the fuel line) stuck in the carb inlet needle. Once that was fixed, we made a big detour in order to avoid Austin and finally got to our destination at 9:30 PM or some 8 hours later than we planned.
Some times, it isn't your car that tires you out but another one in your convoy.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170