Author Topic: Fuel Pump & Choke Mechanism  (Read 3226 times)

Mac_Frazer

• Retired, Time to enjoy the Hobby. #10315
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fuel Pump & Choke Mechanism
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:50:16 PM »
I'm looking for a replacement fuel pump or rebuild kit for the fuel pump. Its a 47 Manhattan, and it has the priming lever on it.
I've looked at a couple of Ebay ones, and they look questionable.
I've installed an electric one, but still want the original to work independently.

Also looking for the automatic choke mechanism that mounts to the side of the carburetor, is this obtainable, or is buying
a new carb?

Steve :)
Steve McKee
47 Frazer Manhattan, only project now!!😉

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fuel Pump & Choke Mechanism
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 09:01:11 PM »
www.kanter.com. page 39 of their catalog for the pump and page 40 for the carburetor. I have seen the climatizer for the carbs on ebay from time to time. Acquired fuel pump for '51 Frazer here: http://ezautoparts.ecrater.com/ web store
MEGAAUTOPARTS@AOL.COM contact us

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:27:23 AM by Doc »
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 09:46:46 PM »
Steve, is what you need the Housing & Coil Climate Control; Part # 170F-23S (Carter), 201655 (KF) from the parts list?  If so, I have one and will e-mail you.  Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 01:09:05 PM »
Kanter's pump for a 47 is a double action unit that has the vacuum pump at the top. It sounds like yours is a single action unit and it probably mounts at the back of the engine. The double will work, but it isn't going to look the same.

Yours can be rebuilt and these folks do a great job -> http://dragsite.tripod.com/then_and_now_automotive.htm

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 02:02:59 PM »
JoeFrazer I agree with you that Now and Then Auto does a great job with Fuel Pumps.
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 04:37:49 PM »
One thing. If you intend to add vacuum stuff, as I intend to add a vacuum operated fan, and rear window wipers, then a dual action pump would come in handy, even if it isn't original
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Mac_Frazer

• Retired, Time to enjoy the Hobby. #10315
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 10:51:41 PM »
Hey, appreciate all the advice and tips, will definitely look into them. My fuel pump is mounted on the front end of the block, it has a little primer handle on it (I think is kind of cool), but it also had an electric mounted as well. Both crapped out. I think the electric was put in because the primary fuel pump quit.

I have a vacuum tank, but not sure it is functional, I know its for the wipers, but don't know if it will drive anything else if I plug into it.  Mike sound like he has my parts for the climate control system for the carb, so I think I'm heading in the right direction.  I will pull the fuel pump and send it to these guys for rebuild, if I can't find a reasonable replacement.

thanks again for the help.
Steve McKee
47 Frazer Manhattan, only project now!!😉

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 05:44:26 PM »
Re the climate control, I bought mine cheap from Autozone--they can look it up for I think a jeep application.  HOWEVER, be aware that you will have to flip the spring, otherwise it will do the opposite of what you want, viz. open the choke when cold and close it when hot.  Flipping it also involves breaking it loose from a glued hold, so be careful!

As for then and now, they are very friendly, but the first time they rebuilt my pump it was leaking fuel.  The second time they rebuilt it, it came back leaking oil!  That was right before I left the country, so I have not dealt with it and will probably have to take a loss on it.  I'm sure they would rebuild it again for me if I asked, though, because they guarantee their work.