Author Topic: Hood Support 47 Frazer Manhattan  (Read 3400 times)

Mac_Frazer

• Retired, Time to enjoy the Hobby. #10315
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hood Support 47 Frazer Manhattan
« on: October 15, 2011, 05:57:28 PM »
Hi everyone, put on a new hood support so I have both on. Problem; is there a right and left? both of these are the same, except they are installed in reverse of each other.

I would appreciate is someone would take a pic of their's on where they mount to the Hood itself, a front on close up and an outside looking towards the motor close up.  my mountings look like their mission something, because they don't attach properly.

Thanks.  Steve
Steve McKee
47 Frazer Manhattan, only project now!!😉

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Hood Support 47 Frazer Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 02:46:00 PM »
I dont have a good pic of the hood props used on the early 47s but I can tell you that they are different from side to side because they have different part numbers.

Mac_Frazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »
Thanks Jim, so is the ratchet slot facing forward?  My biggest concern is how they bolt to that tab on the hood, it doesn't look right. It's just a nut and screw, seems like there should be a bushing, otherwise I'm bolting the metal slide part directly to the tab, and the fit is not right. ???
Steve McKee

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 06:27:04 PM »
Ok, let's see if I can accurately describe it. Yes, the ratchet slot does face forward. There are 2 halves to the support, a base and the half that slides into the base when the hood is lowered. The half that slides into the base is sort of "C" shaped...you want the open part of the "C" to face out away from the engine. I'm attaching a pic that unfortunately doesn't have enough detail...I hope it's of some help.

Mac_Frazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:29:57 AM »
OK, understand the mechanics, so what I currently have is two left braces. The picture is great, what I need is a close up
of the top of the brace where it connects to the hood.
Mine is just a screw and nut that attaches thru the slide portion and the tab. (Metal to Metal) I"m thinking there should be
a bushing or a nylon type washer between the two metal pieces. If this doesn't work, I'll get a picture of mine and post it,
and then you tell me what I'm missing.
Thanks for your assist, beautiful car.....I'm envious...
Steve
Steve McKee

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 12:10:04 PM »
Here are some pictures of the right hand hood support on my '47.
I've owned this Frazer for a few months, so I'm not sure if this is original or modified.
I am missing the left side support assembly and would be interested if your extra left hand support would be for sale.

Custom

email: lrohlf@mchsi.com
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

Mac_Frazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
Thanks Custom, that's what I'm looking for, if you look at the tabs, the metal to metal doesn't make sense to me, and the
brace doesn't sit flat. So I'm looking into a nylon washer to put between the metal.

I've got two for left side, if I can get the right side one then we can deal, if I can't then I will just use this one, it mounts ok, just the hole is facing to the back.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:40:42 PM by Mac_Frazer »
Steve McKee

Mac_Frazer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 10:30:14 PM »
Not wanting to beat a dead horse here, but I got one last question regarding the attachment of the hood braces to the hood.

Enclose picture shows a gap between bracket and brace, in my mind these are not aligned right. The bolts have shoulders on them and sit in the hood bracket, and the nut and compression washer pull the brace in.

Looking into the alignment it looks like my brackets are bent out, I think there should be a straight lineup with the brace and
bracket.
Would appreciate some feedback on this, thank you.
Steve McKee