Author Topic: The nice looking ebay car  (Read 3297 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
The nice looking ebay car
« on: July 19, 2011, 06:35:36 PM »
This car has been listed at least a half a dozen times -
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220816162498&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123

It looks quite nice but when the current ad states it's a "numbers matching" car that can be left to interpretation.
That upholstery is not original and does not look like any that was offered on the four cylinder Js. Seller says it's trim code 5516 which is not listed in The Last Onslaught On Detroit.  Jack, do you have any info on trim code 5516? I'm going out a limb and say it's not red pleated vinyl... but of course, I don't know so...
To me, custom upholstery is not consistent with a "numbers matching" car.  Other opinions?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:41:01 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The nice looking ebay car
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:32:47 AM »
I was hoping that someone else would note the upholstery and interior on this 1953 HJ...

Trim #5516 sounds suspect.  I checked what I have for 1953 and 1954 HJ Corsairs and there is no listing for the number.  As is already noted, LAST ONSLAUGHT ON DETROIT (which referenced items from a different set of dealer materials than I have) also skips this number.  Showroom literature for the 1953 HJ shows an entirely different type of vinyl and does NOT have the multi-pleats that this car has.   

It's my personal opinion that we have yet another case of either "I'm selling it for someone else...I don't know" or "the person I got it from says the numbers match".  I would suggest that anyone interested in this car ask the seller to provide proof that the numbers match and that the proof include factory issued documents.  My experience is that people don't know K-F products and have little to no idea what is right or not.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 01:42:19 PM »
It ain't "RESTORED". It's "REBUILT TO TASTE".
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 01:46:56 PM »
There are too many errors to mention, but I have one question. The deluxe horn ring on a 4 cyl.Yes a dealer could have added it(not likely), but if from the factory would it not have a second horn as part of the deluxe horn package?
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

AZ_HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
Corsairdeluxe you pose an interesting question in regards to the Deluxe Horn Ring as it relates to a dealer installed Second Horn (Horn-Low Pitch). In General Letter No. 41 Dtd March 23, 1951 to All Dealers, Subject: Accessories and Extra Equipment - Henry J, states that a Horn-Low Pitch was an available item for Dealers to install on Henry Js. The letter goes on to state that all the items listed were all announced prior in either bulletins or other letters. I have yet to see a Bulletin or Letter that goes into detail about a Horn-Low Pitch (Second Horn) as a Accessory or Dealer add for the Henry J. If any one has it, I love to see it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:58:49 PM by AZ_HJ »
1948 Willy CJ2A Jeep
1952 Henry J Vagabond Deluxe
1953 Kaiser Traveler Deluxe

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 10:49:34 AM »
Often when restoring a 4 cylinder (standard) Henry J, restorers/rebuilders will add deluxe trim - bumper gaurds, bright work around the windsheilds, full wheel covers.  The one upgrade I see most often is adding the chrome "lip molding" on the hood of the '51 Henry J four cylinder, which was originally painted.  Things like that were/are done all the time with the J so authentic 4 cylinder cars are few and far between.  One of the best examples left is the cardinal one that Larry Hinnrichs of Buckner, MO owns. It's a four cylinder, without overdrive, and unmolested for the most part - it does have fog lights on it which are were a factory issue accessory.  I always wonder about that; if someone could only afford a Henry J four cylinder without OD, then where did they get the $$ for adding fog lights?  Of course, if it was purchased in an area where there was a lot of fog, it's possible.  There was a nice looking '53 Henry J at the national in 2007 which said "Corsair" on the side but it had a 6 cylinder engine, full wheel covers and said bright work. It also had a '51/'52 style speedometer.  The Corsairs were all originally four cylinder cars so it was clearly upgraded with all of these features when it was restored.  My '52 Henry J Vagabond was originally a four cylinder without OD but when the engine bounced a rod after I got it (10 years ago almost to the day) I replaced it with a 6 and OD. I also added bumper gaurds, a second horn, a passenger side sun visor and bright work around the windows. The person who owned it before me had already installed a horn ring and the chrome lip moulding on the hood. Very common things seen on Henry J restorations.  My '53 Corsair Deluxe is a tag matching, unmolested authentic car.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 10:52:28 AM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:08:02 AM »
I did get this message back from the seller:
"Thanks for the info. The number is definitely correct Jim."
That is something to think over. If there is a missed number in a series or sequence that you think should exist but doesn't, like this 5516 as an example of a 'gap', then it just might be that this IS a formerly undocumented number and pattern. Mr. L, while incredibly detailed and accurate (I have his book, of course), and exhaustive in research, cannot be claimed to be 100% accurate on all of the details every time, simply because he might not have had access to some information. Taking absolutely nothing away from his work, of course, and the incredible knowledge, first-hand memories, work, and documentation by current and former members including most of the regulars here. It is a possibility that the car 'did' come with something heretofore undocumented for whatever reason, but whether or not the current material is the OEM material or a replacement we'll likely never know. I really think the Club should have a good quality picture of the data plate in any case. Even if the data plate is an error, its an interesting error.

EDIT: What this might have been was some variation such as Studebaker did with its occasional forays into "Spring Colors" that were not always very well documented (sometimes hard to get a paint chip, or definitive information about which models and what exact period it was available until an original car turns up and proves, along with the factory build sheet, the accepted information wrong) Perhaps it was contemplated and withdrawn, but made it out on a car or two since it was already made up.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:13:37 AM by Jim B PEI »
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »
There are a number of trim codes which are not listed in Langworth's book and some that I have not heard about in factory literature so what the seller says could very well be true - trim code 5516. As I pointed out, I doubt that code refers to red pleated vinyl. I have Edgar Kaiser's Henry J here it has black pleated vinyl on the seats, door panels and a black vinyl headliner. The trim code is 888 which indicated "Factory Special."
The paint code on the ebay car is for "Australian Beige" but it's painted yellow. Is that consistent with "numbers matching?"  I'm not making a claim, I'm asking the question.  There are a lot of opinions that's for sure!
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 07:41:07 PM »
I have seen cases like this over the years; when confronted with questions, sellers often revert to 'I'm only selling it for someone, I don't know' or 'the person I got it from told me it was original. 

I wish all sellers would do their homework before making claims that cannot be backed up with factory documentation; besides the pleats appear to be the wrong width but I cannot tell for certain without actually seeing the car and measuring.