Author Topic: Reassembling the Trunk Locking Mechanism - need help.  (Read 1246 times)

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Reassembling the Trunk Locking Mechanism - need help.
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:35:43 PM »
Well I thought I found all the pieces but believe I am missing something.  Maybe a clip.
On a 53 K Manhattan what holds the stainless piece that covers the key hole onto the sheet metal?  Seems there must be a clip of some sort.  If there is does anyone have one to share??
I can not find a picture of the pieces in any parts or service manual.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Reassembling the Trunk Locking Mechanism - need help.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »
Jim, yes it's a kind of "flexible spring clip" that's put on (from the inside) before you've stuck the lock cylinder through the hole (it's square and open inside to go all the way around the escutchon). The part number is 213223 and it's called a Lock Cylinder Escutchon Retainer.  Its a wierd looking rascal so you need to find an original (i.e. they don't have it at Wally World).

I don't have one but Terry Zeug lists 2 used ones on the last list I have of his.  Before you buy one though, see if you can look in toward the bottom of the trunk lid or slip one of those small magnetic extenders in there to see if there's any chance the previous owner dropped it inside the trunk lid when pulling it out.  I've done it myself and it can be challenging to fish out.   :-[

Hope this helps...Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: Reassembling the Trunk Locking Mechanism - need help.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:12:32 AM »
Last night I was IM on Facebook with Terry and he has already mailed me one.  What a great group of folks. ::).  I will try the magnet idea.  Great thought.  I will let you know how it works out.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com