Author Topic: Vent Window Rubber  (Read 2089 times)

stacks

• View Profile
    • Email
Vent Window Rubber
« on: November 02, 2008, 08:13:37 AM »
Can anyone give me a step by step procedure on replacing the vent window rubber in the rear doors of my '51 Kaiser Special?  It appears to me that the division bar has to come out, but I am not sure how to do that.  Any help would be appreciated.

Jack

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vent Window Rubber
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »
Jack, check your email.

Looks like you take the moldings off and remove the screws at the top and bottom of the support bar. The instructions I sent you aren't the most detailed, but you'll see how it works.
KFOCI #9798

stacks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2008, 10:39:28 AM »
Replacing the rear vent window rubber was a mean job.  I did have to remove the glass in the doors, and then the whole vent window mechanism came right out.  Getting the old (57 years) rubber out was not easy, and had to be chipped out with a sharpened screw driver.  I carefully removed the glass from the divider bar, taking careful note of where all the washers go.  Then everything got cleaned and painted.  The new rubber went in pretty easy, and I must say that it has a good fit.  Everything went back on the divider bar and then installed in the door.  Fortunately the new rubber is soft and plyable, which made it easy to work with.

I never did get the 'Factory Fit' that I was looking for.  Specifically, there is a very slight air gap at the bottom of the glass frame where it meets the rubber.  Since I was careful to put everything back exactly as it came out I can only figure that the reproduction rubber is just a little thinner in that area.  It is not a big problem, and certainly one that I can live with.  The overall appearance is excellent.

Thanks for the advice and instructions I received.

Jack

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 08:37:22 PM »
Don't suppose you'd have any before, during or after pictures to share. Might help make up the mind of someone whose thinking of doing the same, but not sure if it's worth it.

Glad to know it worked out.
KFOCI #9798

stacks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:59:15 PM »
AAAARG, I forgot to take pics of the process.  I will snap a couple of the
completed job as soon as it stops raining out here.