Author Topic: Kaiser Frazer literature  (Read 2230 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser Frazer literature
« on: August 24, 2011, 07:21:36 PM »
Is there an ultimate collection of K-F literature anywhere?  Many of us collect literature and we are aware of the collections of Ben Walker and Ray Tomb's collection now residing with Steve Carey but is there any private or museum collections that are really extensive?  It is too bad that the club does not have it's own collection and we have been offered nice collections like the photos that were taken by a former KF photographer that went to a museum because the club had no way to maintain them.  I am wondering if some facility has a really extensive collection that we could access and make up a master list of known literature.  I am aware of the list that Ray Tomb did years ago and it may be the ultimate listing.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:57:58 AM by gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser Frazer literature
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 07:55:12 PM »
@ Gordie: as I recall, the reason Russ Spalding sent his photo collection to the AACA is because the KFOCI could not give him a tax "write-off" for the donation (the AACA could).

Many members were under the impression that items sent to the AACA would become part of a separate KFOCI collection to be stored there (for which the club paid $500 per year!!) however, the reality is that anything sent there became the permanent property of the AACA.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:17:54 AM »
Between the collections mentioned and my archive, I think we have almost everything represented including the only 1950 elf calender still known to exist (In my stuff).  My archive (17 profolio books) is on computer files for insurance purposes and copies can be made showing what I have...what about the others?

Because the KFOCI is a 501c6 operation we cannot accept donations for tax purposes;  we need to be a 501c3 but it seems there is no way to meet the IRS test to qualify.

If the club had a collection it could be maintained IF we had a central location to keep it in rather than keep moving around when officer positions change.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:24:58 AM »
Thanks, I too have some items that do not seem to be on anyone's list and they could be unique but I think that it is important that the club have a master list published for all members to be able to access and perhaps to add to if new items are discovered in the future.  I have done research at the Detroit Public Library while looking for material for Ford Life Magazine many years ago and their holdings are huge.  I have heard that the Free Library in Philadelphia also has a large collection of automotive history but I have never seen it.  Obviously the AACA Museum has items formerly belonging  to us which was donated for safe keeping and it would be interesting to see what they have for Kaiser, Frazer and Willys.  Also there is no known list of K-F-W collectibles which is another area of interest.  Buttons, badges, pinbacks, tokens, medals, licence plate toppers, pencils, pens, key tags, ash trays, letter openers and matchbooks and other advertising items often offered by dealers and the factory are also items of collected by K-F enthusiasts.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 02:46:15 PM »
Hi Gordie,

I agree with the need for such a list. Several years ago I obtained a copy of the Ray Tomb List, put it into a database and published on the web.  I matched the list against my collection of KF Paper and added what I had that was not on the list.  You can access it on CIRCLEKF . COM in the DP DEPT under SOURCE DOCUMENT TABLES
This list does not include stuff like individual Service Bulletins or individual Parts & Accessory Bulletins, etc.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 01:51:23 PM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts.  That is another list that needs to be published, that is, all of the service bulletins and factory letters with dealer info as well as distributors too and there are sure plenty of early and late service bulletins and parts and accessory letters to keep us busy and broke trying to collect them all.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »
The Service Bulletin list for K-F and the known Kaiser-Willys items that apply to Kaiser, Henry J, Kaiser-Darrin or Willys passenger cars (rather than jeeps, wagons and trucks exclusively) is available based on actual factory indexes; I have the information as part of my service bulletin information; I also have index information for Parts and Accessory Bulletins.

There are 16 profolio books of K-F and related items.  The index book includes thumbnails of the items in each portfolio.  The total file size is around 1GB of information but could be put on 2 CD's if someone wants to try and put together a new comprehensive list with illustrations to show what you are looking for, variations of cover design/colors, etc.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 06:38:17 PM »
Jack, If you send me the 2 CDs I will do my best to organize them into a "new" comprehensive list for everyone.  Bringing it online if so desired for all to share.   Jim
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com