Author Topic: interior paint  (Read 2591 times)

PK5321

• View Profile
    • Email
interior paint
« on: August 25, 2011, 01:34:38 PM »
I'm a newbie, with a just purchased 53 Kaiser Manhattan.  The IP code is 37, which I understand is Jade Green Metallic.  The paint code for the vehicle is 442, which is Jade Green Metallic over Stardust Ivory. (the car is presently all green metallic, but lighter green than the original Jade Green.) Trim code is 5303. What colour should the inside of the trunk and hood be?  Were they painted the IP colour or the body colour?  What all was painted with the IP?
1953 Kaiser Manhattan

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: interior paint
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »
The inside of the trunk and hood should be the lower body color. The dash and inner door frames (the removable frames around the windows) should be the interior paint color.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
I agree on trunk floor paint but the UNDERSIDE of the hood;  what factory info do you have on this or are you going based on restored cars?  I have never noted anything that suggests the underside of the hood was painted same color as outside.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 07:57:56 PM »
He said "inside" the hood (I didn't see "underside.")  I take that to mean the cowl (firewall), exposed parts of the fenders where there would be paint.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 08:03:14 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

jsgmpeek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »
Under the hood was filled with a fiber glass insulation that usually deteriorated after a few miles.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 04:50:16 AM »
On KF cars, the underside of the hood was not painted body color, except for any overspray from when the sides and front of the hood was shot. It was left in prime. The cowl and front splash aprons were lower body color and the inner fenders are black.

PK5321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 07:22:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  For clarification,how was the underside of the trunk lid painted?  IP or body paint?
Also, how was the interior sheet metal shelf behind the rear seat painted?  IP or lower or upper body color?  Thanks again for everyone's responses.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »
I polished a unmolested 53K for 10 years.  The Trunk lid underside was bottom body color, the shelf behind the back seat was also bottom body color.  But to be fair IP was bottom body color also.  My car was Australian Beige over Copper Dust Metallic.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 11:28:06 AM »
I had a two tone 53 that used the upper color for the IP and the inner trunk and package shelf was bottom body color. The dash, inside door, windshield and back glass trim was all upper color.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »
Photo of front door.  This shows the window surround same as lower body color but the door jams as the upper color

Photo of Trunk.  Shows the trunk hinges Upper body color. 

NOTICE the Photos ... these were posted directly to the site from my local drive.  NICE NEW FUNCTIONALITY!!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:37:12 PM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

PK5321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 07:07:24 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies.  I am confused by my car.  As I said, paint code 442 which according to "Last Onslaught...." is Jade Green over Stardust Ivory.  Car has been painted a lighter metallic green all over.  IP was 37-Jade Green.  Some of it(Jade Green) remains on the inside of doors, windshield and back window trim and parcel shelf behind back seat.  Inside of trunk lid and hinges however is also Jade Green and looks original as is lower part of firewall.  I can't find any evidence that this car was ever Stardust Ivory.  The previous owners daughter said she remembered the roof was "cream coloured" and her dad painted the roof to match the lighter green body.  Could this car be mislabelled, or colour changed along the assembly line?  Stardust Ivory OVER Jade Green would have been code 443.  Then again alot could have happened to it over the last 58 years!
1953 Kaiser Manhattan