Author Topic: Another Dragon.  (Read 6196 times)

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Another Dragon.
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
I saw a 53 Kaiser Dradon for sale the other day. I noticed it had a wiper for the rear window. I don't know alot about the Dragons but never noticed they had those. Is that correct? Also, it is black w/black top. what are the colour options for the dragons? I'l try to get more info and a few pictures next time I get a chance to go look at it again, as well as numbers. The paint is faded and looks to be original.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Another Dragon.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 06:26:01 AM »
The rear window wiper was an accessory item sold thru KF dealers beginning with the 1951 model year. A black Dragon was available in 1953, however, it would have had a bleached (sort of a beige) bambu top. Unless it's a special order 999/888 car, it sounds to me like the top was replaced or repainted.
Other colors available were:
- Jade Tint (green)
- Stardust Ivory
- Frosted Holly Green
- Maroon Velvet Metallic

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:14:11 AM »
Black was an offered color as noted, but per the Laangworth book,  KF was reluctant to paint them black because it showed the waves in the metal.  So, I would expect few black Dragons were made.
No old cars owned.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »
Thanks for the information. I was reading Langworths book in the 53 section covering Dragons last night. I realised it has been awhile, and I need to read that book as well as Jack Muellers book again. It looks like the black top is also original. I'll get the numbers of the car next time I stop by, and take photos to post. Is there a list of all known Dragons? I will volunteer to keep a rooster if not. Although, I personally don't care for black or white cars, as I like the beautiful colours. I bet, the black with gold trim does look sharp when restored.

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 11:09:55 AM »
The KF Registry has a list of Dragons for you.
http://circlekf.com/kfcars/k5301.htm
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
Wow, just saw this, since I have been driving my Dragon from state to state recently (see post).  A black 53 Dragon would be very rare, and I think if this is what it purports to be, would be the only known black 53 Dragon in the club.  Very exciting!  Orphanauto, do you have any pics, contact info, or other information about this car?

By the way, the black vinyl top is correct for this car.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 08:27:51 AM »
Wow, super rare!  And to have the rare accessory rear window wiper as well! As well as a throttle control for my 49, I'd love to have THIS exact car, if we are talking about wishes....That is exactly the sort of Dragon I'd want, (as lovely as the maroon, green and ivory ones are) Black and gold trim, with the Marie Nichols interior--stunning!!!
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 08:42:16 PM »
This '53 Dragon is in a salvage yard in MN and it's black with all black vinyl on the dash and armrests. I took a photo of the body tag a few  years ago and it's hard to see in the photo but I can make out that the paint code is '096' which is "Onyx" (black) so it must be a rare one. Unfortunately, there is nothing left of it and the vinyl on the top is all missing, the roof is badly crushed.

From what I can tell from the photo of the tag, the trim code is 5308.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 08:53:25 AM »
It' only antecdotal but my thinking i still that BLACK was not a "pop gee whiz" color and even if it would have been OK on the bodies (no waves) then I think Spencer would not have choen it as one of the 4 colors.  Black was too safe a choice and KF was trying to position itself between Cadillac, Chrysler and Lincoln (lots of black cars) and the rest of the middle sell point crowd.  Black with gold trim to us is a natural, but Spencer never seemed to show much interest in that color.
No old cars owned.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 05:46:03 PM »
I met a young guy a few weeks ago. I had my 53 manhattaan out for ice cream. He wants to buy my car, so, I told him about the dragon. He will go look at it this saturday ( with a trailer ) and may come back with it. If he does, he will be joining the club. If not, I may sell mine, and go get it. Then he will join the club, haha. I am sure he will have a 53 Dragon by next week. I'll let you know, and get photos as soon as I can.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 02:27:07 PM »
Update: My friend went to look at the Dragon, Yes, it is originally Black 096, but, he said it needed alot of work. The interior seats are shot, and the paint is bad. The NOS chrome parts that come with the car look to be used. The price it way to high. He was asking $6950, and the gut with the car said he was going to advertise it for over $11,000. Way to high in my opinion. but, if anyone would like more info. I will give out contact info. The young man that went to look at it is looking for a 53 Kaiser ( preferably automatic) He did get some photos, so.. maybe I can post those after I get them. The Dragon is located in Mo. off I-70 exit 66.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 12:16:14 PM »
There are usually quite a few 53's around in all price ranges.  There is one in the Bulletin for $1000. 

Absolutely $6950 or $11,000 is too high, we know that.  The Stardust Ivory Dragon in Fort Worth is $1450.  The much rarer and desirable Illinois 999/888 Turquise Dragon is $3000 firm. 

Exit 66?  I am familiar with I70 as I used to live in Columbia and my parents both live in MO now.  I am not familiar with exits though. I remember an old fellow near Bates City had a lot of old junk. Is that him? 
No old cars owned.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
His name is Charley Lance, in Sweet Springs Mo. He does have a bunch of old cars there, many look like they just came out of a junk yard, a few nice ones though. He hd a 48 Packard limo I looked at about 2 years ago. It sold around a year ago, Now it's on Craigslist saying it has a cracked block, so.. Buyer beware. He is a nice elderly man, Used to work for a desoto dealer. I think he buys them, gets them running, then sells for a high dollar, just my thought. I would love to get a dragon. Do you have info on the one in Ft. worth? I prefer one with no body rust out, or major body work needed, and preferable with a good drive train.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 07:43:54 PM »
Orphan
Yes, that's the seller Charles Lance. I have purchased 2 cars off of him and sold him one. I purchased a 67 Eldorado and a 72 Buick Limited 2 door. He was old when I knew him. He was set up off the Bates City exit, then sold out, then relocated to his current spot.

He is high on some cars. I think he does buy them cheap and I know he gets ambandoned projects for free sometimes. 

As for the Fort Worth Dragon, it is a continually running ebay auction. It is in bad shape. You are buying the K530 data plate in my opinion because the Dragon jewelry is missing and some of the windows are smashed.  The engine has what looks like 20 years of pine needles and dirt on it.  I was able to get him to $1450. Therefore, I would buy the 999/888 car before this one in Fort Worth.

But it's a Dragon so like I said you are getting the K530 pedigree.
No old cars owned.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 07:47:02 PM »
Note:
Fid Found This Black Dragon but at First I did not see The Plates Numbers. Got the Plates Pictures  & Discovered this Was lower # than the first 2 Dragons Numbers on The Dragon List. It starts with 2 Black Dragons that has been on the List for Years. Both was in the or Found by Club Members.We was told few were made. Some said Mabey only made 2. Because took this many Years to find another.

Please even in salvage get Firewall & Vin on Doorjam Drvers side. We do not have Original from Factory so as We find them can ad to List. We know Black Dragons rare. This is How Dragon List Got started. Richard Langworth & Tom Behnke log them to start the Count.

Find another that’s 2. If same number You logged before You found same Vehicle again.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:48:52 PM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.