Author Topic: Rear Window Wiper for Kaisers  (Read 1291 times)

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Rear Window Wiper for Kaisers
« on: September 01, 2011, 05:14:50 AM »
There seems to be a bit of interest these days on the rear window wiper. 

The item sold as a Kaiser-Frazer part was in fact a more or less "universal" kit produced by Trico.  It came with the hardware and parts to either tap off the intake manifold's vacuum or the vacuum boost line off a double-stage fuel pump (via a t-junction) to the regular windshield wiper motor.   Pontiac and others offered it as a factory-branded item starting in the 1951 model year.  It was also supposed to be available as an aftermarket item.  The kit will work on a variety of period cars, depending on rear window size, etc and where the rear motor could be mounted.

I found one years ago digging through the back area of George Buchinger's warehouse when George was still alive and active in the club.  I put it on my 1952 Kaiser deLuxe (sold in 2009) but kept the instructions.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rear Window Wiper for Kaisers
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »
When did this option first become available, in 1951? I've only heard of second series cars with this option...

I like vacuum wipers, when there is a fair bit of vacuum, to work with. Even when there isn't, like on my drive home from Sydney Nova Scotia back to Malpeque Prince Edward Island during an out-of-the-blue-and-very-early serious Noreaster with a TON of snow (12-20 inches of powder fell in some spots, no snowplows, freezing rain, sleet in others) with my newly acquired 49 Kaiser with a really bad engine with incredible blowby (and a quart an hour oil loss out the tailpipe, no leaks) it was a learning, and bonding experience. Heater worked nicely, and I got used to the accelerate up the hills for 7 seconds, back-off for 2, accelerate for 7, etc to get the windshield clean in a howling blizzard going uphill.

Seriously, I was wondering if you could post the instructions here, or even possibly send me a PM to me so that I can have a copy of it. I have a lot of parts on hand and would like to try installing a vacuum rear window wiper (as well as a 6 V Trico aftermarket fan I have, as a "defroster") in my 49 sometime
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:55:29 PM »
The rear window wiper kits was available to dealers effective October 3, 1950 and was designed for the 1951 Kaiser. I would imagine that with a little head scratching and a big enough hammer, it could be made to fit the earlier cars!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
Based on the instruction sheet, the problem appears to be figuring out how to mount the wiper motor in the trunk so that the arm mount comes out at the right point for proper travel against the glass.  Mine was installed to instructions but would only travel 90 degrees than return rather than the 140-180 shown degrees in brochures.   Proper clearance between the bottom of the rubber molding for the glass and the rear deck or any projecting obstruction (like a trim strip) is also critical.