Author Topic: Exhaust Manifold  (Read 1425 times)

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
Exhaust Manifold
« on: October 04, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
MY heat valve in my "51 exhaust manifold is burned out. Will a 52-53 exhaust manifold
bolt up to a '51 intake manifold? I know the '52 kaiser went to a larger exhaust pipe boosting
horsepower so I would have to change exhaust pipes, but would I need to upgrade to a later
year intake manifold too?

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Exhaust Manifold
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:06:18 PM »
According to the 53 shop manual supplement, the manifolds are not interchangeable. You'd have to use the complete 53-up manifold if you wanted to use the later lower without the heat riser.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 07:58:45 PM »
Joe: I read the supplement too and I should have stated the question better. It looks like the '52
exhaust is the same and would fit on a "51. Th intake and exhaust is different on the "53 and I
said the pipes were enlarged in '52 which is wrong. I should have said  the pipes were enlarged
in '53. Do you agree that intake and exhaust manifolds are interchangeable between 51 and 52
as very little is mentioned about the '52?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
Yes, the 51 and 52 are the same and can be swapped.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 04:27:22 AM »
If your "heat valve" is the carb pre-heater (the thermostat on the outside of the manifold), just lock it in the closed position so the exhaust gas flows out the exhaust passage rather than up into the carb.  With today's gasolines, letting the hot gas flow up into the cars will evaporate the fuel on a warm to hot day (and even cost problems when temp is in the 40's).  I had the problem with both the 1951 business coupe and the 1952 deLuxe.

Jack Mueller