Author Topic: Starter hangs in flywheel  (Read 2714 times)

wallywilson

• View Profile
    • Email
Starter hangs in flywheel
« on: April 13, 2009, 02:28:44 PM »
My car is a 1954 Early Special with automatic transmission.
My starter starts the engine ok, but when the engine first fires, the starter makes a nasty grinding sound for about a second, like it's not releasing from the fly wheel. I've removed it and cleaned and oiled the bearings, but it still does it. Doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. Any ideas on what is causing it?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starter hangs in flywheel
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:21:13 PM »
The starter on a 1954 early Special with hydramatic should be a Delco-Remy 1107126. If this is the type with a large solenoid on the top, a sticky solenoid is the likely culprit. Unfortunately, I don't have a car or photo to look at, likely  you do. It's likely you cleaned and lubed the solenoid too, but just in case it was overlooked, I'm posting the suggestion.  I just checked the Delco-Remy starter section of 1955 Issue of "Motors" and it says "If the starter tries to engage (or remains engaged) when the engine is running, look for trouble in the dash switch or its terminals. They may be vibrating into contact with each other. This trouble may also be attibuted to a weak or broken return spring or hinge on the solenoid relay armature."
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

wallywilson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 01:06:16 PM »
Thanks, FID. Very helpful and logical advice. Right now I'm having the starter rebuilt. I had a feeling about the key switch, but it certainly could be the solenoid also.

wallywilson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 01:25:09 PM »
I had the exact same problem and after removing and messing with the starter a couple times, I finally took it to a proper rebuilder here in Nashville and he rebuilt it and the problem is now gone.

Randy K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 02:54:49 AM »
The later Hydra-matic starters had a "locking" Bendix.  The unit stays engaged with the flywheel until it turns fast enough to break the lock.  The intent was, in the event of a hard start, keeping the Bendix engaged prevented any flywheel damage.

Take the starter apart and clean and lubricate the Bendix so ti clears the flywheel faster.