Author Topic: dash controls  (Read 1731 times)

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
dash controls
« on: November 14, 2011, 10:05:10 PM »
Would someone post a pic with a description of the switches, knobs and there function for our 53 Corsair, thanks, Henry.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: dash controls
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »
Here it is from the driver's side. The one with "L" is the lights which all Js had and the "C" is the choke which all Henry Js had.
Note that not all Henry Js had a heater so the one with "H" on it may not be present (heater blower). Many Henry Js did not have air vents so the two marked "V" on either side of the steering column may have chrome or gray plugs in the hole instead. Some Henry Js with heaters installed after shipment  may only have the "V" knob on the right side of the column

One thing that makes the '53 Henry J dash unique is the control straight above the ignition switch which is not marked. That one is the windsheild wiper control. Only '53 Js have it there. On the '51/'52 cars it is located top center on the dash. Rudy Phillips reproduces all of said knobs and most in the photo are from him. I should point out that is  the correct/original configuration. Because so many of these items are 'ad-ons' on the Henry J people often drilled out the dash and put aftermarket type controls in. The ones in the photo are all factory correct.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 09:15:48 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:16:11 AM »
Thanks again Fid, here is a pic of our dash.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »
Cool. I like that color, Sabre Jet Blue! Mine is a Corsair Deluxe so it has the covered dash. The Corsair did not have that. Looks like yours has a factory heater - that's a nice option. The heater blower and knob ("H") and the headlight switch knob ("L") are fastened on with a metal clip that you can remove by pushing it with the screwdriver. The choke ("C") and vent ("V") knobs are sweat onto the cables and you have to crush them to get them off and then glue the new ones on. The wiper knob just pulls off. The cigar lighter knob glues onto a spindle too - Rudy has all of them, including the shift lever knob. They're not cheap but it's nice to know you can get them. I remember the days when you couldn't!

His contact info is:

Rudy Phillips
2136 Walnut St.
Ramona, CA 92065
1-760-789-3608

If you're planning on restoring a Henry J, you need to know Rudy. Joining the Kaiser-Frazer Owner's Club is a must too if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:15:00 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:41:32 AM »
Thanks again Fid. As we are going down to Quartzsite this Jan we are planning on doing a bit of traveling and Rudy's looks like a good place to visit. Henry.