Author Topic: ALOHA GREEN PAINT  (Read 6255 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ALOHA GREEN PAINT
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 01:13:41 PM »
Mitch, Todd Spreck now owns that Aloha Green J you once had. If the match was close, perhaps I can see if someone can do a computer scan of his car and generate the formula. That's what I did when I put the continental kit on my '52 HJ Vagabond. The previous owner painted my car with a hue that was close but had a little more metallic in it so despite the fellow getting me the Cape Verde green metallic based on the paint code, it still would not match what was on the car. The computer scan generated a PPG formula was a perfect match.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

blackcat429cj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 08:34:55 AM »
Yes - Todd and I talked about the car for a year or two before he even bought it.   The paint should be pretty much right on - it was an original dupont enamel formula - I would think one of the wheels - like the spare - or under the wheel cover - would have had little or no sun exposure and would be a good place for scaning. 

I rescued that car out of a junk yard - low serial number & body number - one is 299 and the other is 313.  it only had about 46000 miles on it.  the only option on it was the heater.  I added the vent package and replaced after market wheel covers with the full disc covers.   

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 06:31:20 PM by blackcat429cj »
Mitch Lewis LM 3684
1953 Manhattan - Tropical Green/Stardust Ivory
1954 Special (late) - Arctic White (Now Stardust Ivory)
1954 Darrin - Yellow Satin

Former Cars
1951 HJ Deluxe - Aloha Green
1954 Manhattan - Palm Beach Ivory/Island Green

blackcat429cj

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 06:30:30 PM »
I dug up the picture that I had where the color turned out basically correct.  I checked out the registry and the car is currently registered under Todd's name.  It is the 3rd lowest serial number on ther registry.  Glad I saved it from the junk yard.
Mitch Lewis LM 3684
1953 Manhattan - Tropical Green/Stardust Ivory
1954 Special (late) - Arctic White (Now Stardust Ivory)
1954 Darrin - Yellow Satin

Former Cars
1951 HJ Deluxe - Aloha Green
1954 Manhattan - Palm Beach Ivory/Island Green

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 08:20:43 PM »
Aloha Green was one of the strangest colors ever offered by Kaiser-Frazer.  Carl Spencer, head of the Color and Trim department of the styling area created the color so it would catch people's attention and may register as a different car each time one was spotted. 

The challenge was that due to supply problems on the 4 cylinder engines from Willys-Overland (there was a war on & the government placed parts orders for heads, blocks, etc to keep the MB's going) there were not enough of the basic cars to go around.  Dealers with one HJ in Aloha Green were urged to drive the car around town.  People (it was hoped) would believe that there were more of them around locally than there actually were.  Spencer got the idea from Irwin Rommel the German general who took a handful of tanks and kept driving them through the streets of Bengazi, Libya when the Afrika Korps arrived there.  British agents in the city reported hundreds and hundreds of German tanks were heading for the front as a result of the ruse.