Author Topic: Radio Knobs  (Read 1426 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Radio Knobs
« on: November 23, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »
What was the color of the knobs and buttons on the Henry J radio 100205?
Any supplier?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Knobs
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:27:27 AM »
Here's a picture of mine just after installing some NOS knobs I was fortunate enough to acquire:

The push-buttons are original on it too. As far as I know, there is no one reproducing them (knobs or buttons). I'd been looking for a set of knobs for many, many years as the original ones that were on this radio when I got it were badly crumbled.  I was fortunate enough to find some NOS ones a few years ago.
I have seen people use the metal knobs from the later '51 - '53 Kaiser radios on the 100205 and they look correct but  of course, they are not original if that's what you're going for.  Rudy Phillips reproduces the pearlite knobs for the 1949-51 Frazer deluxe radio and if I were looking for some knobs for my Henry J radio, I would use them because the color and motif would be a better match than the metal ones. You would have to have him send you two tone knobs actually because on the 1949-51 radios one knob is a 'D shell' like the Henry J and one is press on. You would need two 'D shell' types.  The push buttons are sweat onto the metal and require removing the entire assembly. There are early '50s Pontiac and Oldsmobile radios that use buttons very similar. I've never tried replacing them or subbing them but look on ebay at 1950s Olds and Pontiac radios and you may be able to come up with something that's a good match. They were all Delco radios made by Johnson Labratories here in Minneapolis so some parts will interchange you'll just have to look and see which ones you can find that are close.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 08:37:49 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Knobs
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »