Author Topic: Hydramatic Plant Fire Effect on KF automatics  (Read 1325 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Hydramatic Plant Fire Effect on KF automatics
« on: January 04, 2012, 07:15:41 PM »
A poster on the AACA forum asked me this question and I do not know the answer to it--

BJM I have a question for you. What kind of automatic does KF cars use after the Hydra-Matic plant burned down in the fall of 1953?? Late production 1953 Pontiac's had to use Chevy Powerglides and Oldsmobile and Cadillac had to use Buick Dyna-Flow. I know Lincoln was using Hydra-Matic from GM also, but they switch to their own after the fire.
No old cars owned.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hydramatic Plant Fire Effect on KF automatics
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 07:41:08 PM »
It was still Hydramatic.

GM changed transmissions in their own vehicles in order to do the minor supply of Hydramatics to the outside Independents. I would suppose the thinking went something like "we can only supply 10,000 Hydramatics, so we can sell them to Nash/Hudson/Kaiser and make some outside money, and change our own production to Powerglides and Dynaflows since we'll need 200,000 of them. Besides, if we do it that way, maybe the anti-trust people will stop threatening us with restraint of trade"
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hydramatic Plant Fire Effect on KF automatics
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 06:10:54 AM »
Actually, it was a bit different....

The swap among the GM lines was to keep production going; by this point the majority of all GM cars built were ordered with H-D by the dealers selling them.  As for the independents, Willys, who just started using H-D in the Ace and Eagle lines had to go without for a number of weeks.  Kaiser had enough Hydra-Matics in stock to cover its needs until production resumed at Willow Run.  Nash, Hudson and others also had to suffer until the end of 1953 when Willow Run-built HD's got into the pipeline in volume

Lincoln used H-D into 1955 models if memory is correct.  It was with the 1956 line up that the in-house automatics at Ford got into the top-line cars. 

I have a newsreel clip showing GM setting up the Hydra-Matic line at Willow Run, including taking large machines in through the big hangar doors, with the Kaiser-Frazer name still showing above them.   I got that back when I was a historical consultant to GM, Ford, the University of Michigan and other parties over the pollution of Willow Creek.  Barbara and I went do to meetings and stuff in Chicago on weekends and we were put up in the Palmer House or the Union League Club.