Author Topic: Speedometer Problems  (Read 7550 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Speedometer Problems
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 09:47:13 PM »
Thanks for all the advice.  I got the graphite oil from NAPA and disconnected the speedometer at both ends, then put it through the firewall and poured the lubricant down it until it came out the bottom.  I allowed it to drain for more than an hour before hooking it back up to make sure there was none pooling at the top that would get into the gauge unit.  It doesn't make any noise now and works well.  Thanks again.  It really was not at all a hard process.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
That is so good to hear--that something like Internet advice turns out well. Gives me hope... :D
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 10:05:12 PM »
Does someone have a shortcut to disconnect the speedometer from the gauge cluster on a '51
Kaiser? I took he four screws out, but the cluster only pulls out about 1 inch before the wires are too
tight. The knurled knob is too tight for my fingers from the rear, so a pliers is needed, but how do
you grip a pliers and turn it in all those wires? Where do you put your head on the floor with a
clutch and a brake pedal in the way? Us old guys are not that limber anymore!

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2011, 01:13:28 PM »
Well, I got it loose at last. My new question is where the cup/wick on the back of the speedometer, or
did the "51 not have that? I don't see anything like that on mine.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 12:32:18 AM »
On mine, you have to remove the dash cluster carefully, of course. Yes, the wires are short.  (PLEASE remember to disconnect the battery first...).  You won't have much room, but the wick area to oil ( I use a light sewing machine oil with a needle-like dispenser on top) is a small hole just above the area where the speedo cable screws into the back of the cluster.  It's not real obvious but it should be there.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »
Jim B Pei & others: My speedometer on my '51 Kaiser does jump around. I pulled the cable and
lubed it which made it work better, but it still needs work. You mentioned a "wick/cap" that
is on the back of the instrument cluster that is for lubing the speedometer assembly itself. Does
anyone has a picture of a instrument cluster removed from the car that shows this "wick/cap"
because I have been unable to find it. I am sure the assembly is dry after all this time and needs
to be lubed.

Jim B PEI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2011, 02:24:41 PM »
Sorry, don't have a picture or spare speedo, even a dead one, or even a Studebaker one, right handy
KF
Studebaker
lawn art

DaveF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 02:43:16 PM »
My speedometer head was 'frozen' and cable was broken........ I had it repaired, installed a new cable......... Everything worked fine for awhile........  Soon afterwards cable started making noise and eventually broke........ I then installed a NAPA replacement cable and housing.......... Everything works great now.

Dave F #10113

Jim B PEI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 12:27:54 PM »
Yes, if one is gone or going, usually from someone forgetting to lubricate for a long long time if ever, it usually means the other has had some significant stress wear too, and will go soon after.
KF
Studebaker
lawn art

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 05:22:24 PM »
Here's a picture of the oiler hole on a 51K speedometer. I removed the upper screw from the assembly to make it easier to see the hole. It's easiest to reach if you have an oiler with a long flexible spout. Otherwise, you will need an arm that is hinged in 4 places to get to it!

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
Thanks joefrazer. I am going to try this later on during the week when the temp warms up as it was
19 above last night. Your picture after I enlarged it was very clear. Thanks again.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 04:21:44 PM »
joefrazer: Aha. The reason I couldn't see the oil hole was that there is a screw just above it. When
looking down from above, all I saw was the screw head. Looking at your picture, I realized that I had
to lift the assembly and look sideways below the screw and there it was. One picture is indeed
worth 10,00 words. Thanks again.