Author Topic: Radiator question  (Read 1261 times)

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
Radiator question
« on: January 22, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »
I took the radiator from my '48 to a shop to check it out. The guy said it needed to be recored but I guess that type of core no longer exists. He said he could do it with a different type core, but it won't be orginal. Now I'm not trying to get points with this car. I want a nice car that I can drive that is as close to original as I can reasonably get. Is it a big deal to have him do this? Are there correct cores available?

Kory

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Radiator question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:54:55 AM »
Correct cores can be obtained but they are pricey. The original used a honeycomb core while later, and more modern units, use a straight tube and fin design. If you're not after points, then the latter will work. It's the thermostat that does the work to regulate water temperature so while the flow rate may differ a little, in the end, the thermostat will take care of ensuring that the coolant is at the right temp.

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
Thanks Joe. I do have another radiator that I bought with some other parts a few years ago. I'm going to have him check that radiator. If it's not good, I'll go with the new core.

Kory

Kenn Evans II

• MSN Messenger - winslowcemeteries@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 01:33:58 AM »
I had a new radiator made a while back, cost was reasonable and they shipped it to me and it fits perfect. You might give them a call for a quote. Their info is http://thebrassworks.net
out of Paso Robles, California and they make almost everything you would need. They can reuse your old parts if you want them to. They did a honeycomb radiator for me and I am satisfied with the work.
Family of 1952 Kaiser Manhattan 1952 Kaiser Deluxe 1949 Kaiser Traveler 1961 Falcon Ranchero 1963 Galaxie 500 XL Conv. 1964 Cadillac Sovereign Landaulet combination ambulance hearse , 1970 Ford Truck F100 1972 Chevelle SS Conv.  1979 Chevrolet C100 KF Member # 10252