Author Topic: Henry Kaiser's Driver  (Read 1308 times)

DaveF

• View Profile
    • Email
Henry Kaiser's Driver
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:47:29 PM »
Today while visiting my Father-In-law Lionel Stone at his retirement residence here in Bellingham, Washington his neighbor from across the hall came in his room to say 'hello'......... She noticed some photo's of Lionel riding in a friend's 1941 Studebaker President.  She commented about Studebaker's and such and I showed her a photo of my 1952 Kaiser and inquired if she remembered "Kaiser Frazer' Cars. 

She replied: "Oh yes I certainly do...... I was Henry Kaiser's driver!"  Well,  I told her on my next visit I would like to learn more about it........ She said it was in the 40's (She's 92 and in great shape).......... I'll try to report more in the future.

Dave F. #10113

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Re: Henry Kaiser's Driver
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »
WOW, I love hearing the untold stories from people behind the scenes. Perhaps she will be able to tell a few " the rest of the stories" As Pual Harvey would say. Looking forward to hearing what you can learn from her. I wonder if She has any photos of her at the factory, or driving Henry Kaiser.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »
Back when I had the Business Coupe I was at a shopping mall not far from the house when an older lady came up to me and asked about my model K5113 1951 Kaiser Special Business Coupe, because it was the only year we made them at Willow Run.  She was one of the secretaries on the Kaiser-Frazer Sales Corporation payroll and was one of the staff that people from the Styling Department Color and Trim Section spooked when they would run down the halls covered over by cowhide leather.  Her husband worked on the line and migrated to Nash Motors in 1953 as things wound down at Kaiser Motors and stayed through American Motors.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »
Great stories to be sure. I remember shortly after my parents retired and moved to Arizona in 1999 my dad played golf with a fellow that said he worked for Kaiser-Frazer and put the headliner in the last car that came off the assembly line at Willow Run. His job on the assembly line was installing headliners.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios