Author Topic: Steering column  (Read 2015 times)

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
Steering column
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:59:19 PM »
First, on my '48 Kaiser I started to try to put the steering column/shift linkage back in today. I have the column in with the painted cover on with the slot lined up correctly where it connects to the steering box. When I attached the shift linkage to the column cover(not sure exactly what else to call it) with the set screws in, the shift lever is pointing pretty much straight down which I know isn't right. What do I have wrong?

Also, could someone email me or post some various pictures under the hood to help me figure out how a few things go?

Thanks,
Kory

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Steering column
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:40:23 PM »
Ah yes, this issue has come up a number of times!  If the shift lever points in the wrong direction, then the tab or tongue on the end of the shaft has slipped out from between the two forks. It's a matter of removing the cover (the one out under the hood, then gently spreading the forks apart and slipping the tab back in between them. Then align them back up. I've described the procedure on here before. I found the post and here it is -

On the column shift, there are two levers that go from the trans up to the "box" on the column. In that box there are two forks (two tyne forks), one for 2nd and 3rd gear and one for reverse and first gear. There is a "tongue" on the end of the gearshift lever shaft that sits between these two forks. When the shift lever is in neutral, the two forks are lined up and that tongue rests in the fork for 2nd and 3rd. The lever is spring loaded so it keeps it there when the car is neutral.  When you go to shift to reverse or 1st, you first pull the lever back and the tongue goes into the rear fork (Reverse and 1st) so when you pull it up it turns the fork, which pulls the rod on the trans into Reverse. Pull it back and down and it tips the rear fork the other way which pushes the rod down and puts the trans in 1st gear.  If the transmission is in either 1st gear or reverse when it's installed, the spring on the lever will keep the lever in the neutral position but now the transmission is in first or reverse. Because the rear fork is now tipped, you cannot pull the shift lever back and the forks do not line up.  There are two levers on the end of the steering column.  Make sure they are both lined up (lift one up or push one down to line them up but they should both be in the 'center' and lined up. When they are lined up, you should then be able to pull the column shift lever back an shift it with the shift lever. See photo -

The photo is a 1951 Kaiser but the 1948 will be similar.
The two levers are in the lower right corner of the photo (with a red circle around them).  The rear lever is up, indicating the car/transmission is in reverse.  If you push that lever down, the transmission will be in neutral.  Those levers are out of "sync" with the lever on the steering column. If you move those levers so they both line up, the trans is in neutral. (make sure the brake is set or the wheels blocked if you're on a hill. Since you just installed the trans, I'm assuming the car is on a level surface.) Then check the shift lever to see if it is in neutral.  If so, you should be good to go. If not and you still can't move the column shift lever back and forth, you will need to take the cover off the "box" between the two levers and see where that tongue is in relation to the levers.  The best way to do this is to line the levers up so the trans is in neutral. Then remove the cover from the "box" between them (four screws hold it on) and put the tongue back between the two forks. The forks themselves are spring loaded and if the  tongue slipped out from between them (this happened to me once) you need to pry the forks apart a little (a large screwdriver between them works well) and then position the tongue back between them. The tongue should rest in the bottom fork (front-most fork) when both forks are lined up. That should do it. Let us know how you come out.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:33:19 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:01:39 PM »
Thanks Fid I'll see if I can get it figured out tomorrow.

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:54:51 AM »
O.K. I got both forks and the shift lever pointing in the right direction but something is still not right. No matter what I do with the shift lever it doesn't engage the fork closest to the steering box and the end of that same fork is extremely close to the bolt sticking out of the generator where the cable connects to it.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:10:27 AM »
The top fork is spring loaded to return it to its most forward position. Is it possible that over time, the lube in it got gummed up so when you pull back on the shift lever, that fork stays in its rear-most (if that's a word) position?  This would explain how the tab slipped out in the first place. I've had to fill that "box", which contains the levers, with grease - I did it for all of my old cars last summer and it made a very noticeable difference in how they shifted (see photo of how dry it was inside the one Henry J I have here).

I actually removed the entire cover and filled it with grease - normally you can just remove the cap as is shown it the photo but mine were all so dry I removed the cover and packed grease (normal chasis lube per the specs) in it.  You might want to try that and work it back and forth and see if that helps.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Kory Fox

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
My '48 doesn't have that box deal in between the forks. It's different. Everything seems like it's moving fairly free, but no matter which way I push or pull the shift lever it only moves the fork farthest from the steering box. It won't move the other one.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 02:24:33 PM »
Page 104 of the parts book that Jim posted shows it is different. I'm not familiar with that one but have a look at that diagram and see if it helps. I'm sure if I was standing there looking at it, I could figure it out - that's the frustrating part!
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe