Author Topic: clock repair  (Read 1314 times)

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
clock repair
« on: March 20, 2012, 07:25:02 PM »
now that my radio is looking and working good, I want the clock to work. Has anybody had their clock serviced and had good results? I thought a quartz conversion would be a neat upgrade, but the first place I emailed said they could only service mine for $69.95 plus return shipping.

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
Re: clock repair
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 09:15:44 PM »
I have fixed a few of my old car clocks. There is a spring that winds down every few minutes, then, the contacts hit and makes the contact, and throws the spring back. After years, the points need cleaning. Take the clock out, then the back cover off, and file the points with a nail files, or fine file, just like the points in the ignition. That is almost always the only thing you need to do. Note, there is always a chance it could be something else, but in my experience, that is all it has taken for me to get my Studebaker clocks working. I have not gotten around to doing my 53 Manhattan yet, but, I am sure it will be just as easy. Best of luck.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

stroker70

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: clock repair
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 10:55:54 AM »
I talked to Car clock Doc here in SoCal and although he would not convert it to a quartz movement, he said the Kaiser clocks were a well made quality clock and should last many years. I went ahead and mailed it to him for a tune up and repair if needed. When I removed it, I saw that it was not wired up so it may or may not have worked. I thought after 60 years it would at least deserve oiling and adjustment. Was quoted 40 to 60 bucks if nothing was broken. He said he had parts if needed.