Author Topic: power steering  (Read 2535 times)

Tom N

• View Profile
    • Email
power steering
« on: March 09, 2012, 05:53:22 PM »
a friend recently told me that there are other power steering setups that will fit my 53 Kaiser, but he didnt know exactly what they were other than some years from Chrysler corp.  Can anyone help? I have to make this modification as I have lost the use of my left arm and want to continue enjoying my Kaiser.  Thanks, Tom N.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: power steering
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 09:27:19 PM »
Late 1950's American Motors units work nicely in Kaisers.  You need to talk to Dale Hammon (he's in the club) in Beloit WI about setting this unit up as well as other possible units.  He is in the membership roster.

Jim B PEI

• People want simple answers, even if they are wrong
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 10:31:28 PM »
This is the sort of thing that should/could be 'saved' by the club as a file (with pictures/diagrams?) in much the way that the Service Standards books have just been done.

The Studebaker site has a wealth of all sorts of 'how-to' items, from pictures of actual accessories (so you can identify things that come up on Ebay or at a flea market) to links to proven modern replacements/formulae in new paint types (Aloha Green, and Caribbean Coral are two that come to my mind that need this) and technical upgrades, templates to affix trim and options, and so forth that are all linked to the SDC main page. Many of these have been collected from actual work done by individual member of the Studebaker Club and shared with the hobby.

Just a thought.
KF
49 Kaiser Special Glass Green, Saskatchewan new
Studebaker
64 2dr 170-6 auto Astra White Commander Special
63 4dr Wagonaire 259V8 o/d Blue
57 4dr 185-6 auto Glendale Green/Turquoise
57 4dr 185-6 o/d Glendale Green/Turquoise W6 clone
lawn art
57 Stude 259V8 auto. 56 Panhard

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 05:34:29 PM »
Just talked to Dale Hammon, 3:32pm pacific time on 3/11/2011. Dale said he had to change gear boxes but had someone put in a G.M unit. I didn't understand from him that it was a power steering unit.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 07:03:58 PM »
The Kaiser power steering was made by Monroe - the shock absorber people. I had been told in the early year that Kaiser was the only company that used it, but that isn't true.
If you type in Monroe powering steering in Google, this is the 1st hit you get:
http://books.google.com/books?id=TC0DAAAAMBAJ&lpg=PA100&ots=-vcmSlnYoo&dq=monroe%20power%20steering&pg=PA100#v=onepage&q=monroe%20power%20steering&f=false

The Packard people indicate that Monroe units were used on 55 Clippers while the regular (Senior) Parkards were Bendix.

The Kaiser unit replaces all the steering linkage from the splines on the steering box to the arms on the spindles. Steering is very quick, but all early PS setups tended to be too quick and required too little effort.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Tom N

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:34:39 AM »
Thanks for reading & your replys.  I would leave the steering alone if I could but without use of my left hand & arm I can't drive my car.   I will try to look into things more based on your replys.  Could you send me an address /phone # for Dale Hammon?  My email is tnmh@hotmail.com 
Ph 585-746-0932.  Many Thanks
 :)Tom

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »
Here is the Power Steering Parts List if it will help.
http://circlekf.com/kflit/PM/kfpm770.html
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com