Author Topic: My Manhattan has gone dark  (Read 1113 times)

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
My Manhattan has gone dark
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:00:59 PM »
Hello All,
I was trying to get the horns on my 54 Manhattan working today.  I had just replaced the wire down through the steering column.  I hooked the other wires to the solenoid.  I did not hook up the horns.
When I pushed the horn button, the solenoid audibly closed.  I then hooked the wires to the horns.
I then tried to honk the horns.  One of them gave a sick bleat and the entire car lost electrical power.
I went through the shop manual and the supplements and I cannot find any fuses or relays to check.
I am at a total loss.  Does anyone have any ideas?  No noise or smoke accompanied the failure.
Thanks, Barry

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My Manhattan has gone dark
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 02:46:32 AM »
Like any electrical part over 50 years of age, the horns themselves are subject to corrosion and shorting out when contacts fail to properly open and close.  Disconnect the horns and see if power comes back up.  If not, charge the battery and see if everything else (leave the horns disconnected) works OK when the battery comes back up.  Odds are you may have shorted the battery to ground when you tried the horns and may have fried the solenoid as well.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 09:41:24 PM »
Turn on the headlights and tell us if the headlights come on at all. If they come on are they dim? If
no lights at all, put a voltmeter across the battery and lets us know what you read.

oldpm

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »
Thanks for the quick answers!  It indeed was a short to ground.  Cleaned all the major connections and that seemed to clear everything up.  Now all I have to do is hookup and try the horns.
Thanks again,
Barry