Author Topic: AMP Light on Dash comes on when car is turned off  (Read 2142 times)

rencech

• View Profile
    • Email
AMP Light on Dash comes on when car is turned off
« on: April 14, 2012, 10:39:03 PM »
hello, I have a 1955 Kaiser Manhattan - a few weeks ago the amp light came on after I turned the car off and it stays on. If i turn the key to the on postion the amp lights goes out.  I followed a few recommendations - I changed out the battry, change out the voltage regulator, the Gen had been rebuilt.  The car starts and runs fine but the light is draining the battery.   Any thoughts would be of great help  = Thanks

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: AMP Light on Dash comes on when car is turned off
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:30:33 PM »
You have a short in the amp circuit. Start by checking the lines to the rear seat cigar lighter and to the horn relay. I would disconnect both, the lighter has a plug connector under the drivers side of the seat and I would disconnect all of the wires from the horn relay...be careful to insulate the ends so they don't go to ground. Then, see if the light goes off. If so, reconnect one at a time and when the light goes back on, you'll know where the issue lies. If that doesn't do the trick, then the issue may be with the ignition switch.

rencech

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
Hello, thank you for the data - I took that actions you recommended but the light is still on, but was a good process as the wire under the seat was bare and I know the lighter works as I had tested it a few weeks ago - it was good to disconnect that.  Now I will need to figure out how to get the dash apart to check out the other wiring - thank you again - will keep you posted.  CJR

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 09:20:42 PM »
BEFORE TEARING ANY THING ELSE APART, CHECK THAT THE TRUNK LIGHTS ARE GOING OUT WHEN THE LID IS SHUT. I found the switch was not making and breaking contact and the wire that runs along the top of the inside had a bare wire sticking out of the loom due the deteriorated wire shielding. there is a pull apart connector to make the check easy.

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:26:13 PM »
I had this problem with my 54 Manhattan. When the car was turned off the amp light would stay on. Each time this happened I tapped on the voltage regulator and it went out .This only happened a few times.    Thinking it was the regulator I bought one but didn't put it on yet. I haven't used it enough this year for it to act up again. So who knows?

rencech

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
First and formost thanks for all of the help, this is a great educational forum and I appreciate the input. I did not lock my self in the trunk but did validate that the lights do go out when the truck is closed. I  tapped on the voltage regulator but no impact to the AMP light but my other half did see the light flicker when I tool the cover off of the regulator - It stayed on though, I have a new old stock unit and I will try swapping it our and see if that helps.  Again thank you for all of the help, will keep you posted on what I come up with.

CJR