Author Topic: 1951 KAISER HENRYJ  (Read 1722 times)

FRAZER BROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
1951 KAISER HENRYJ
« on: May 21, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »

I JUST BOUGHT A 1951 HENRY J THAT HAS BEEN IN A STORAGE UNIT FOR 41 YEARS.
DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE CAR , EXCEPT THEY LOOK COOL. EVERYONE I HAVE EVER SEEN WAS AT THE DRAGS. THIS ONE IS ALL ORIGINAL.
WOULD LIKE SOME INFRO & HELP .
MIGHT BE SELLING TOO.
THANXZ

FRAZER BROWN

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1951 KAISER HENRYJ
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
MORE PIX

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 10:56:18 AM »
What you have is an mid-year issue 1951 in Ceramic green over Cape Verde green Henry J deluxe. Looks like a factory sanctioned/dealer applied tutone job which makes it pretty unusual. It appears to be unmolested. I think the car was on ebay or Craigslist recently if I remember correctly and it looked pretty good.  Most Henry Js, even the "original" ones have been alterned/molested in some way so finding one that hasn't been is a tough job. The radio and heater in it are not factory issue but it doesn't appear that any cuts or permanent alterations were made to install them. The choke knob (black knob) is not original but again, probably not really an issue. Reproduction knobs (choke, lights, heater, vent) are available if someone wanted to put it back to original. It has overdrive which is a big plus.  Overall, a pretty straight example.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 11:01:50 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 12:28:03 PM »
As you have probably noticed by now, there is a large and a small factory tag by the driver side hood hinge on the top of the firewall, and another serial number tag on the driver side door frame, between the upper and lower hinges.  If you can send good pictures or transcribe the numbers and headers off them, we can tell you more about the car.  If this is a dealer done two-tone, there should be two 3 digit paint numbers at that header to identify the second color.    The .pdf flie is a copy of the Advance Information Bulletin sent by the factory to dealers & distributors on two-tone paintwork;  the factory only did two-tones on special order or fleet sales but dealers were told how to and what colors to combine for "proper" two-tone work.

51HJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »
I drove to Parsons, Ks. to look at that car a few weeks ago. his asking price was $15,000 and I got him down to $10,000 but that was it. The serial number is K514 002145 and it was been added to the regstry.  The car was bought in Oklahoma City, the lady worked for Sherman Williams Pint Company until retiring in 1971.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 03:16:12 PM »
The serial number you list indicates that the car is the 1,145th 1951 6 cylinder HJ built; serial numbers in 1951 started with 001001.  According to the factory numbers I have for production, the serial number indicates the car came off the line around the middle of August, 1950, about 6 weeks or so before public introduction date. 

The original dealer ordering information indicates that the only greens initially offered were the non-metallic Ceramic Green and the lighter Aloha Green (your roof and rear deck.  Paint numbers on the Body Tag (near the driver side hood hinge at top of the firewall corner) would tell more about original color, etc.  Other numbers on this tag would identify the original upholstery material, verify transmission type (3-speed manual or 3-speed with overdrive) and other aspects of the car.  Also, the separate body serial number (smaller plate by the Body Tag) would further verify line position.