Author Topic: Increase in Henry J's for sale on ebay  (Read 9583 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Increase in Henry J's for sale on ebay
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »
Vegas were the only car that I'm aware of that were painted after the car was assembled so none of the hidden metal got painted and that is why they rusted out on the roofs and around the windows.  Also if you ordered a GM car with a factory installed vinyl top they were also unpainted under the vinyl tops and that is why you see so many GM cars with rust around the front and rear windows.  "GM mark of excellence!"  I drove Pintos for years and so did my kids.  They were great little cars and there is a very popular club for them today and a huge group of Pinto fans.  Ralph Nader killed the Pintos and Corvairs by his loud complaints.  Nader did not drive and has no drivers license.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »
In defense of the Vega: I drove one for 10 months as a delivery vehicle for a parts house I worked at in my early 20's. It was a 1974 panel truck. It had that crappy engine that left me stranded several times, but when it was running, it was a blast to drive. Had a 3 speed on the floor and handled really well (a 20 year-old delivery boy would know these things).

My last day on the job was a Saturday and we worked til noon. I was there 10 months and got up the nerve to ask the boss for a raise. He said no and fired me, but I would not get paid for today unless I worked til noon. I took the car out for one last delivery and on the way back I ran about 7 stop signs on Elmendorf Street, hit the railroad bridge hump at the end and was airborne at about 50 mph. When I landed, I felt and heard the ground under my feet and could not get it to shift very well after that. I still remember the older lady pedestrian's look on her face as she saw this lavender colored Vega literally flying past her. I limped it back into the warehouse, parked it and hung up the keys. Heard rumors it never ran right after that.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 06:49:31 PM »
Some people have an emotional attatchment to Henry J's because they grew up with them. My Dad had 4 as I was growing up. 2 had Small block Chevrolets and 1 was an Allstate. This picture was taken in 1967 when I was 12 years old. I am in the process of restoring a 1953 Allstate now. Lot's of work, but I can't wait to have another one back on the road.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 10:55:42 AM »
Here's a bit of speculation about the increasing number of Henry J's going up for sale on ebay and other channels outside the KFOCI.

I have to wonder if one thing driving this is the fact that the economy continues its non-starting condition.  People who bought them over the last several years expecting to hot rod or dragster them "one of these days" no longer can afford their planned projects and need to turn cash.  Add to this the fact that completed street rod or dragster projects advertised on eBay are not fetching what their sellers (note I don't say owners; a number of sellers are offering the car on behalf of someone else) are asking.  No point into sinking $$$$$ into a project that will not turn a profit for the owner.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 05:07:25 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

Shirley Wallace

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2012, 01:04:09 AM »
The Henry J's I saw on EBay were rust buckets. I have one that I was thinking of selling but the guy wanted to steal it for $500. I would keep it for that. The 1952 Henry J that I have has been in my family since 1953. Talk about sentimental value!