Author Topic: fuse box  (Read 1416 times)

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
fuse box
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:11:11 AM »
     Need to locate fuse box on my '52 Allstate. Came back from paint shop with major elec. issues. Rt. headlite fizzled out at shop.Brake and tail lights don't work. when I step on brake the dash lights come on. Parking lights seem okay. Left headlight and high beam seem okay. Shop had fenders off and so had to detach wires at the front block. I think I can figure out the routing but want to make sure fuses are okay too. All lights were fine before going to shop. Thanks for help.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: fuse box
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:00:08 AM »
This question comes up every now and then. The fact is, most cars from that era, including the Henry J and Allstate, do not have a fuse box. The 1951/52 Henry Js have the main fuse (30 amp) mounted on top of the headlight switch and most (but not all) electrical components run off a terminal on the headlight switch.  The 1953 J, and probably the '53 Allstate as well, has an inline fuse on the main wire which connects to the hot terminal on the headlight switch. Radios and heaters were options on the J (and Allstate) and they have their own inline fuses and get their power from the hot terminal on the ignition switch (they use the hot terminal because the J, and many cars from the era, didn't have an accessory position on the switch.) If your car has the original wiring, what you're describing sounds like a grounding issue as many terminals and contact points have corroded in 60 years and if someone disturbs or moves them, the connections can be compromised. The headlights tie to the 3 terminal junction right behind the hood latch.   Also, the headlight switch terminals can crack at the rivets and cause the lights to go dim, and in some cases, not work at all so your problem could also be the head light switch if wires were pulled and disturbed in the process.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:44:06 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »
You can use the 1952 HJ wiring diagram for your Allstate to trace the various pathways of the system.  The diagram in the HJ shop manual (which will generally apply to the Allstate except for component use) will also identify points where fuses are and what kind of fuse you have. 

You should also have the set of Allstate-specific Service Bulletins Kaiser-Frazer issued on behalf of Sears during 1952-53.  I am mulling over the possibility of including them in KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0.

John M.

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:56:31 PM »
     Thanks for response. Checked taillight mountings and jiggled them a bit and lights came on. Will make sure there is good contact between mounting brackets and body and also check other grounding points. Fuses on top of light switch and in line are right there where Fid said they'd be.
      P.S. If anyone knows of an Allstate center grill medallion out there for sale, please let me know.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 10:47:23 PM »
I was going to mention that John. That is a typical problem with the '52-'54 Js as the rear wheels slopped a lot of slush and water up and hits the little screws that fasten the tail light bodies to the fenders and corrodes them preventing them from making a good ground. If you take them off you'll see the 4 speed nuts and they're likely rusty.  A good cleaning will help but I've run a wire from one of those four down to the frame so it will make a better ground.  I thought of this right after I posted my previous reply.  Let us know how it works.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios