Author Topic: "Original" Car for sale on ebay  (Read 2073 times)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
"Original" Car for sale on ebay
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:53:30 AM »
This "original" 1951 Henry J has 1952-54 rear quarters and tail lights
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Henry-J-Deluxe-1951-Kaiser-Henry-J-Deluxe-2-door-gasser-hot-rod-collector-car-/280909342952?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item41678068e8

Also missing the hose from the oil filler to air cleaner which means the crankcase may not be properly ventilated. Appears to be a 12 volt battery in it as well.
Likely the seller doesn't know these things.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 09:57:14 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: "Original" Car for sale on ebay
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 01:06:02 PM »
If the header uses words like "mod" or "rod" the car is clearly presented as a non-original vehicle.  Based on the headers, none of the cars should be indicated as original (2 rods, 1 with air conditioning).  I must admit I would like to be at the first KFOCI meet where someone comes with a car like this & claims it is all original because "the person who sold it to me said it was all original".

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 02:47:24 PM »
This one's not on ebay...I found it 10 minutes from my house. It seems the owner's brother bought it while in high school and parked it in the 70s. It definitely needs some serious work!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »
Jim, even the one you posted is a 1951 with a 1953 hood ornament! It's amazing how many modifications can take place on these cars over time.  One thing the modern restorer may not be aware of is that when some of these cars were put back on the road or "restored" in the 1960/70/80s, the only source for parts were junkyards and swap meets. If your hood ornament was missing, and you found a '53 in a salvage yard, that was better than not having one so you went with it. As a result, you see a lot of examples, especially KFs, with those types of modifications. Now, 2 generations later, the current owner/seller likely has no idea what was changed and when on their cars as previous owners may be deceased or did not know themselves.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios