Author Topic: Brake Problem  (Read 2411 times)

glen

• View Profile
    • Email
Brake Problem
« on: June 24, 2012, 09:19:45 AM »
Hi,
What is the easiest way to remove the rear left brake drum on my `53 Kaiser?
(That brake seizes up when driving forward but not in reverse.)
Do I require a special tool to do so?
Thanks,
glenn

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Brake Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »
Yes you need a special tool.  The 51-53 Kaiser service manual shows this hub puller and how to use it. An old Chilton or Motors manual would probably show it too.  These rear hub /drum assemblies are often hard to remove. This same puller is used on many 1940-1950's cars and light trucks. Chrysler makes and most independents used them. This puller shouldn't be that hard to find. Some auto part stores rent them out.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 11:48:23 AM »
Check out the factory shop manuel for further information on binding/grabbing of the brakes before starting out.  Having been part of the team doing the rear brakes on the 1952 Kaiser I had, there can be some otherwise unexpected snags.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »
First thing to check before tearing into the hub would be the parking brake assembly-the one direction only application might suggest something is hanging up there. 

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »
I got a drum puller at the Kaiser Willys place from Ron Meditz.  You can find his ad in the newsletter

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:26:10 PM »
I just have a standard three - spoke wheel puller and it will do the job. If you have to buy one, I'd buy the KF tool as it may work better.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiservagabond

• MSN Messenger - kvagabond@geusnet.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 11:28:36 AM »
I've used the 3-spoke drum puller, if you don't have one you might get on from O'Rielly's, Carquest or even Auto Zone, several times over the past 24 years while owning Kaiser cars.  Works good.  Here's how I do it.  Remove the effected wheel, remove the retaining nut and flat washer, turn the nut over and install it backward on the end of the a xleshaft until it's flush with the end of the axle but not against the drum.  This will prevent the end of the axle from swelling/damage. Then install the puller using the original wheel attachment bolts. Now tighten the large bolt using an air driven impact wrench if you have one.  If not then stick a crow bar or some such tool thru the spokes of the puller.  Now tighten the center bolt as tight as you can, don't use a torque wrench,  and then with the opposite wheel off the ground,  hit the end of the center bolt with a large hammer, and  I mean large.  Several hit's may be required while retightening the center bolt between each hit with the hammer.  The drum should pop off at some point with out having to heat the hub.  Then you can remove the puller, the drum retaining nut and and then the drum.  If the drum won't come off then you will need to back off the brake shoes a little.
  Note:  I've been using one of these since I was about 12 years old in my dad's garage.  Hope this will be of some help.