Author Topic: Gas tank removal :(..  (Read 1280 times)

ChrisHawaii

• View Profile
    • Email
Gas tank removal :(..
« on: July 26, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
Bonjour!

Thanks for the very useful comments... I cleaned up the filter, pump and rubber lines (alcohol and patience was good enough). The diaphragm is in good shape and does not seem to react to alcohol at all. I guess it was changed at some point, as it looks good.

So, I have to bite the bullet and remove the gas tank and fuel lines to clean everything and eventually re-coat the interior of the tank. I found the needed products at the local marina boat supplies store. Was a good relief as shipping this king of stuff to Hawaii is both slow and expensive.

Before starting though, I would welcome any advice on the removal of the tank from those who did it. I found good information on the cleaning process on the web, but I need to get the tank out first!

Mahalo nui and aloha,
Christian
1953'  Kaiser Manhattan

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gas tank removal :(..
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 09:07:18 PM »
Removal of the tank is pretty straightforward.  It is held on by only 3 bolts. The first step is of course to drain the tank through the plug provided. Then disconnect the steel fuel line and the filler neck. The tank can now be lowered when the 3 bolts are removed. At this point it will be connected by the wire to the fuel gauge sending unit. You might have to support it at a point above the floor, depending on how long the wire is.  Remove the nut holding the wire on and the tank can be lifted away.

Seems there is a potential issue with leaks developing in the tube that picks up fuel inside the tank so that it doesn't suck right. This would normally be where it connects to the fitting that the fuel line screws into. Believe I've heard of a few cases of this occurring.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 09:58:43 PM »
I have had 4 tanks that needed cleaning and fixing so i did as follows---(1) remove fuel line at tank BE SURE TO USE 2 WRENCHES  one for the line fitting and one for the soldered in fitting. that solder will not take much torquing to break it lose from the tank,(2) remove 2 bolts holding the tank closest to axle ( use 2 zip ties to hold tank and splash guard in position) (3) remove filler neck clamp closest to filler neck (4) loosen screw and nut holding filler neck, wriggle filler neck from hose. (5) remove bolt at rear of tank,cut zip ties, lower it  by tipping it toward center of car, (6) remove wire from sending unit, this wire is fed through a hole in the trunk floor behind the gas filler neck housing. I have tanks cleaned at a radiator shop and used a gallon of carburetor cleaner , the home remedy worked best for me and a lot less costly," it is also reusable'  tHEN USED GAS TANK RESTORE.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 11:56:39 PM »
If it doesn't have any holes, you may want to reconsider if you want to coat it after the cleaning. Applying the coating requires making sure the surface has been cleaned and treated and it must be completely DRY. Force air dried and for quite a while (I used a blow dryer for a couple of hours) so there is no moisture whatsoever in it. Remember the moisture will be trapped in the seems and cracks and that moisture must be dried before applying the coating. If the coating does not adhere you will have a worse problem than you did before.  I've done it successfully but I've also heard horror stories from others.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios